5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2013 8:26 AM by runcmd

ePO Upgrade from 4.5 to 5.x and Encrypted USB Devices

runcmd

I am administering an ePO at version 4.5 on a Windows 2003 VM.  I want to upgrade to version 5.x on a Windows 2012 VM.  I am trying to determine if it would be better to:

a.) Keep our existing SQL database backend (which is currently on a different server), upgrade the ePO, setup a new ePO on the 2012 server and then point it to the existing database.

b.) Start from scratch with a fresh ePO at 5.x and a new database.The existing environment has been in place since approximately 2008, so I thought it might be a good idea to start over with a clean slate.

I have one major concern...

We are using McAfee Standard Encrypted USB flash drives (USB-ST02) in our environment and they are all managed by the existing ePO.  In my research, I've heard rumors that the McAfee Encrypted USB Series, Gen II is being or has been discontinued.  (Is this true and, if so, what is the replacement?)  As far as I can determine from the master repository, we are relying upon the Encrypted USB Administrator (v1.5.0/11), Encrypted USB Client (v1.5.0/11), Encrypted USB FW Package Gen II (v2.1.0), and Encrypted USB SW Package Gen II (v 1.5.0/11).  Will these packages work on ePO v5.x and, if not, is there a version that will?  Since these devices are centrally managed by the ePO, is starting over with a new ePO database not an option because all of our users' encrypted USB devices would need to be reinitialized?

Thanks for any and all feedback!