5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2014 7:38 AM by ahamm

    Upgrade from ePO 5.0.1 to 5.1.0 failing

    alphoenix

      I've tried to upgrade my ePO 5.0.1 server install to the new v5.1.0.

       

      Soon after the setup startup (actually, once it has stopped the 3 services), I'm getting an error when it tries to copy the actual directory to a temporary backup folder.

      This error states something like "some files are in use". But the 3 services ARE stopped... (And I've launched the setup as an admin, of course).

       

      In the final EPO510-Error.Ini file, I have:

       

      [ErrorLog]

      ErrorString=FAILURE: In RenameFile with error code [-1] while moving the folder as follows:

      ActionName=Prod_MoveOldProductFolder

      Source: [C:\Program Files (x86)\System tools\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator]

      Target: [C:\Program Files (x86)\System tools\McAfee\Backup of ePolicy Orchestrator]

       

      Actually, my idea is more about a problem of 8.3 filename creation.

      Indeed, my server is a Windows 2008 R2, and up to v4.6 of ePO, I always had to set the NTFSDisable8dot3NameCreation registry settings to 0 before starting upgrade, and set it back again to 1 after.

      For ePO 5, nothing anywhere about it ! Does this still have to be done ? I think yes, because I had to do it to upgrade from 4.6 to 5.0, and then, from 5.0 to 5.0.1... And indeed, in some log files, there are some 8.3 names like EPOLIC~1.

       

      This time, I ...forgot to change the value...

      So, I finally set the value to 0 again (it was on 1), and previously, that was always sufficient (no reboot required, despite of what was written in some KB articles).

      But this time it does work !

      For rebooting, I need to wait (can't be done during working hours...).

       

      So, in your opinion, do you think this could be the clue, or does this error nothing have to see with ?

        • 1. Re: Upgrade from ePO 5.0.1 to 5.1.0 failing
          gabriel_86

          Hi Alphoneix... have you reed this?

           

          https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB79062

           

          Seems that is not supported the upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1

           

          There is a my post about this just a little bit down

           

          Gabriel

          • 2. Re: Upgrade from ePO 5.0.1 to 5.1.0 failing
            alphoenix

            Thanks Gabriel,

             

            I just went to read it....

            Somewhere frightening !

            A so new version, and already so many issues ???

             

            So what, upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 is NOT supported ???

            Where have you seen that information ? If it's really the case, well, this is simply unacceptable from McAfee...

             

            "There is a my post about this just a little bit down"

            Can you precise ? I don't understand what you mean.

             

            Alain

             

            Ce message a été modifié par: alphoenix on 06/11/13 09:07:44 CST
            • 3. Re: Upgrade from ePO 5.0.1 to 5.1.0 failing
              gabriel_86

              Hi Alain

              Here my post...take a look in to https://community.mcafee.com/message/309822#309822

               

              I understood it from this... seems that for now there isn't a workaround. Hope it's a mistake. look the "bold"

               

              917335
              837362
              Issue: For ePO 5.1.0, the Upgrade Compatibility Utility supports upgrade from 4.5.7, 4.6.4, 4.6.6, and 4.6.7. However, you cannot use the utility to migrate an ePO 5.0 server.
              • The Installation Guide incorrectly states that the Upgrade Compatibility Utility can be used to migrate a 4.5, 4.6, or a 5.0 server to 5.1.
              • If you run the utility on a not-supported for upgrade version of ePO, the error message does not list the correct versions supported for upgrade by the utility.
              • 4. Re: Upgrade from ePO 5.0.1 to 5.1.0 failing
                alphoenix

                Hi again,

                 

                I think you've perhaps misunderstood the use of UCU ?

                UCU is only here in order to migrate from ePO 4.x to 5.x... It's there to verify the packages/extensions you have installed in 4.x are compatible with 5.x.

                (I had the case for an extension of SiteAdvisor which needed to be upgraded before migrating to 5.0 - otherwise, the extension would have been disabled).

                So, of course, UCU isn't useful to migrate from 5.0 to 5.0.1 or to 5.1 !

                 

                That doesn't mean upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 is impossible.

                And this morning, when I launched the setup, it indeed stated "upgrading" because it detected my previous 5.0.1.

                 

                So well, I'm still with my problem...

                I'll perhaps try again tomorrow, after having rebooted the server with the 8.3 setting changed...

                 

                Alain

                • 5. Re: Upgrade from ePO 5.0.1 to 5.1.0 failing
                  ahamm

                  Hi,

                   

                  I fond this post as I'm currently in the same situation.

                  Alain, the discussion ends here so I'm hoping the registry change did solve the problem, please post back.

                  Alfred