1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 5, 2013 5:24 AM by Peter M

McShield.exe Crash/Hang

thetree

Not sure if this is the right place, but.

McAfee McShield.exe has been crashing after laptop wake consistently for months now.

When waking my laptop from sleep (lid closed, then open), McShield.exe crashes and causes any running processes to not respond. For example, Chrome cannot end its own process, and task manager can't end the process or process tree. Neither does the taskkill command.

Windows then also becomes incapable of shutting down, the only way to shutdown being a hard reset via the power button, which can't be doing the laptop any good.

I've been examining the event logs and it seems that the cause is consistently McAfee.

The latest error:

Faulting application name: mcshield.exe, version: 15.1.0.520, time stamp: 0x50f59f8d

Faulting module name: ole32.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7c92c

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000000d89e

Faulting process id: 0x17b0

Faulting application start time: 0x01ced998929a7193

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mcshield.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\ole32.dll

Report Id: 8081c9e9-4600-11e3-ba89-685d437e98e7

Help would be appreciated with this, as its a real pain having to shutdown rather than close the laptop every time I leave it.

Thanks

• 1. Re: McShield.exe Crash/Hang
          Peter M

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes errors.  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If that doesn't help, go to Control Panel > Programs and uninstall McAfee.

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot.

Reinstall from your online account.

Note: If you have Family Protection and/or Anti-Theft installed the above can't be done as easily and you should contact Technical Support - linked under Useful Links at the top of this page, or for Anti-Theft only here (see Announcement at top of page): https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/anti-theft 

Meanwhile ensure that your operating system is totally up to date, especially IE, evn if you don't use it.