1 2 3 4 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2013 11:12 PM by catdaddy

SecurityCenter 2013 hanging during Update?

wixey

After checking for updates in SecurityCenter 2013, I got the usual message telling me to close the interface window, which I did, but now it appears to be 'stuck' on 'installing updates'. Annoyingly, I can't check the status of anything while it's in the process of updating, but it's been stuck at 0% for around twenty minutes now and I don't remember having to wait that long in the past. Is this just an unusually large update or should I try rebooting, or something else?

Just a note - I eventually rebooted after waiting for around an hour or so and have run another check for updates; McAfee reckons I'm up to date now (Anti-Virus/Spyware is version 16.8.708, engine version 1698.0, and Anti-Spam is 13.8 content version 4731). I'll see if the same thing happens again with the next update.

Message was edited by: wixey on 11/3/13 2:47:21 PM CST
        • 1. Re: SecurityCenter 2013 hanging during Update?
          Peter M

Sometimes, for whatever reason, the interface jams up, it's happened to me and I did what you did and rebooted to find it had updated as in your case.

Actually your are 1 ahead of me with engine 1698 so you are OK I suspect.

If you have any further issues I would ask Technical Support to take a look.  It's free after all.

See the link under Useful Links at the top of this page. 

• 2. Re: SecurityCenter 2013 hanging during Update?
            catdaddy

As Ex Brit, PeaceKeeper and other Moderators have stated. The (2013) Version updates entirely differently in comparison to the (2012) Version-11.6. I find it more beneficial to simply allow my Auto-Updates to install my next current "Engine Version"  opposed to (Manually) checking for updates.

From earlier threads it seems that the latest version of McAfee Security Center-Anti-Virus, etc..is slowly being throttled?

As for myself, I am still currently on the (12.8.856) Version...opposed to the (13.0) upgrade.Like you I am running the Anti-Virus (16.8.708) Firewall (13.8.712). If it gives you some semblance of a "Peace of mind"  My current "Engine Version" is still (1697)....although my Security Center indicates that my next update is due @ 6:21 EST....this does not necesarrily mean that I will be updated to todays current "Engine Version (1698) at that time.

Could you by chance have mistaken your current "Anti-Spam" Version-Content ?  For my current number is (4751) opposed to yours listed as being (4731)? If you still have any doubts, or concerns..you can simply run the McAfee Virtual Technician.

I hope this in some way helps....

Regards,

CatDaddy

• 3. Re: SecurityCenter 2013 hanging during Update?
              wixey

Thanks for getting back.

Glad it wasn't anything serious, and something someone else has experienced. I remember a few similar occasions using the 2012 version, only that one would get stuck on 'checking for updates' instead. Rebooting fixed that as well. I wondered if this issue had been fixed for the 2013 version...

• 4. Re: SecurityCenter 2013 hanging during Update?
                Peter M

I sometimes wonder if it's caused by a momentary disconnect from the update server - only a guess though.

• 5. Re: SecurityCenter 2013 hanging during Update?
                  catdaddy

As Ex Brit stated, You seem to be "OK" in regards to your current "Engine Version"   (1698)  For just as he stipulated I have yet to be updated from (1697).

Having said this...Could you have been mistaken by saying your "Anti-Spam" Version-Content is (4731) ?

Although my comments, suggestions, or solutions are "Chopped Liver" in comparison to the Moderators. I am confident that your "Anti-Spam" Version-Content should be (4751)....Just wondering.....?  Maybe Ex Brit could confirm this...as he has assisted me so graciously in the past.

Regards,

CatDaddy

• 6. Re: SecurityCenter 2013 hanging during Update?
                    Peter M

Unfortunately I don't use Anti-Spam so can't confirm that.   The Virtual Technican would identify any shortcomings I am sure http://mvt.mcafee.com/ as you stated earlier.

• 7. Re: SecurityCenter 2013 hanging during Update?
                      catdaddy

Thanks Ex Brit...as usual for your expidited response. Actually It is my opinion that if Wixeys "Engine Version" is current and up to date. It was simply a oversight of the (Actual)  Anti-Spam Version-Content. As you very well know...it updates entirely different and numerous of times daily.

Calling it a Night,

Been a "Rough Week" medically speaking....

GodSpeed,

CatDaddy

• 8. Re: SecurityCenter 2013 hanging during Update?
                        Peacekeeper

My antispam on 4750 at present though it gets it off a beta server so timing different,

• 9. Re: SecurityCenter 2013 hanging during Update?
                          wixey

Having read the posts from both catdaddy and Peacekeeper, I've downloaded and run MVT. The first time it found a "registry error", which it fixed. A second scan said everything was fine.

I've double-checked the About section and the Anti-Spam number really is 4731 - the last update for it came through a little while ago and it now reads as follows:

Version: 13.8

Build: 13.706

Last Update: 04/11/2013

Content Version: 4731

Content Update: 14/10/2013 20:39:21

Engine Version: 3.0.0429

Does this need looking into more deeply or is it okay to leave things as they are?

1 2 3 4 Previous Next