Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
468 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2013 10:05 AM by rackroyd RSS
michaelvotaw Newcomer 2 posts since
Oct 31, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 31, 2013 6:49 AM

New Linux EPO Agent install taking too much memory

After installing the Linux version ot the EPO agent, I see that it's creating 18 seperate processes named "cma" and consuming a total amount of RAM around 600MB.  This is just too much RAM to consume on servers already loaded down.

Can anybody help me figure out how to reduce the memory footprint and not lose any functionality?

I've attached the listing from top to the post.

Message was edited by: michaelvotaw on 10/31/13 6:49:37 AM CDT
Attachments:
  • rackroyd McAfee Mentor 953 posts since
    Feb 3, 2010

What you are seeing is threads, not processes and is an artifact of how 'Linux Native threads' represents

Please refer to McAfee Support article: KB69690 - McAfee Agent 4.x for Linux displays many CMA Processes

Basically that observation is normal.

From that KB article:

The McAfee runtime environment uses Linux Native threads through the Light Weight Process implementation.
    Utilizing Linux Native threads causes each thread to show as a separate process on the client computer.
    The same behavior will be seen with any McAfee product that uses threading along with the McAfee runtime.

For additional information on Light-weight process:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-weight_process

Note that the top listing count also aggregates that memory usage incorrectly, so it appears exaggerated - for you it is actually only using 1/18th of that at any one time.

So in your case the agent is really only using around 33Mb.

• rackroyd McAfee Mentor 953 posts since
    Feb 3, 2010

I know because I have seen this exact same request before and discussed it with the McAfee Linux Agent development team.

The pmap command is preferable for exactly this reason, see:

http://virtualthreads.blogspot.com/2006/02/understanding-memory-usage-on-linux.h tml

So pmap <PID> -d ought to provide a more accurate representation of real memory usage.

I admit it's a little odd to see each having a unique PID but that may also be an artifact.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points