3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2013 4:18 AM by exbrit

McAfee installation process leaves PC vunerable

rajeshk4u

I have Total Protection (which is expiring). I bought a brand new McAfee Access rather then renew old subscription.

I was told by Support, to uninstall my old McAfeee product (which is expiring) and then download a new copy of McAfee. I was not too happy with this approach, as it would leave my PC vunerable to virus attacks, whilst I have carrying out an on-line installation of McAfee. Given this is an anit-virus, company, I thought this was pretty lousy and cavalier approach. It suggest McAfee does not take PC security very seriously.

Why can't it let you download the entire software and for people to disconnect from the internet, then uninstall the old McAfee and then install the new McAfee.

The support guy at McAfee, told me the software after installation will check if the PC has been infected. Which is cold comfort, if a virus has taken over a PC....

• 1. Re: McAfee installation process leaves PC vunerable

rajeshk4u wrote:

Why can't it let you download the entire software and for people to disconnect from the internet, then uninstall the old McAfee and then install the new McAfee.

Because we found doing that, lots of people would reinstall that old saved package some time in the future and malware would get missed out because the definitions were way way out of date. The way we do it now is carefully calculated to give the best possible protection to the largest community of users.

• 2. Re: McAfee installation process leaves PC vunerable
            jacjibin

There are 2 approaches to the issue

1- you could have directly started the installation of the new product while leaving the old product installed in the computer

The installer will remove the old product automatically and then install the new version.

2. There is also a tool called subdbfix.exe you can get it in service.mcafee.com kb id is 100966.

When you run this tool, it automatically changes your subscription from the old one to the new one, without uninstall and re-install

• 3. Re: McAfee installation process leaves PC vunerable
              exbrit

The process leaves Windows Firewall protecting you during the time that no software is installed and, unless you are surfing elsewhere or downloading stuff, there shouldn't be a  risk.    Most similar packages do the same, Norton and like.

The installation over the top mentioned by the previous poster should work also, however we have found that sometimes corruption can occur with that method, especially if it's a different suite altogether.

Subscription repair, if needed and in this case I don't think it is, is outlined HERE - consumers do not have access to the Enterprise and/or Service Portals' KB articles as he mentioned.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/12/13 5:18:38 EST AM