Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
3020 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2013 6:06 PM by rmetzger RSS
piosk Newcomer 19 posts since
Aug 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 28, 2013 3:29 AM

When VSE8.8 patch 4 should be expected

Question like in subject.

During summer time i checked and it was told we should expect it at the begining of october.

Now it is end of october and no sign of p4.

I awaiting it as solution to my problem with patch2/3 and updates install and sdat update problem.

• rmetzger Champion 566 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    1. Oct 28, 2013 7:48 AM (in response to piosk)
    Re: When VSE8.8 patch 4 should be expected

Hi piosk,

William Warren has updated us on VSE v8.8 Patch 4, here:

https://community.mcafee.com/message/304993#304993

wwarren wrote:

Re: VSE 8.8 Patch 4 - coming soon...                                                                                       

Unfortunately our schedule is being "corrected", now a Nov 6 for managed release and RTW would put us into December - or if we have sufficient feedback during RTS, it may release RTW by end of November.

Patch 4 will require an updated MID; that will come after RTS... possibly by RTW.

Patch 4 does include new ScriptScan support for IE 10 and 11, though there is a quirk with the new Enhanced Protection Mode option of IE - it prevents us from writing to disk, so we can't use our DebugDumpDirectory method for troubleshooting ScriptScan performance issues anymore (not looking forward to that).

And FireFox have already made it clear they do not want our ScriptScan feature protecting their users - if we add it, they just rev another version blocking us, so, I'm not sure what you're hoping to see there - my opinion would be avoid using Browsers that put Users at risk. Microsoft is making it more difficult to protect IE users but they're not there just yet.

So, unless some unreported issues have been discovered, I would expect a release to world in December 2013.

Plan accordingly.

Ron Metzger

• alobato Newcomer 8 posts since
    Jun 27, 2012
    2. Oct 30, 2013 4:55 PM (in response to rmetzger)

I too and interested in VSE 8.8 P4 and the updated version of McAfee Installation Designer. The current version only calls the SetupVSE.exe and not SetupVSE_Win8.exe so we cannot create packages for Windows 8/Server 2012. When I say create packages, I mean use MID to create an install package complete with hotfixes, updated DATs and configuration settings. I am watching this post so please shoot an update here.

• rmetzger Champion 566 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    3. Oct 30, 2013 6:20 PM (in response to alobato)

Hi alobato,

William Warren discussed this here:

https://community.mcafee.com/message/304993#304993

wwarren wrote:

Patch 4 will require an updated MID; that will come after RTS... possibly by RTW.

So, again, I would expect a release to world in December 2013. Possibly a new version of MID before then.

As far as SetupVSE_Win8.exe, not sure if it will be needed, as the new MID is expected to work with Win 8.1 and down. VSE v8.8 Patch 4 is suppose to work with all supported OS' including Win v8.1. As far as I know, the only requirement for VSE v8.8 Upgrades, is that the original installed version of VSE v8.8 be at Patch 1, prior to the upgrade.

When creating MID images for Win 8 or 2012 (R2) simply create and save a separate .cfg for each OS. Then in ePO, use each .cfg for each OS.

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger on 10/30/13 7:20:14 PM EDT

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points