Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
3089 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2013 12:05 AM by Hayton RSS 1 2 Previous Next
jcpa Newcomer 5 posts since
Oct 24, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 24, 2013 9:47 PM

New Total Protection Security Center 12.8 causing HD issues in XP?

Over the weekend, I was updated to Security Center 12.8.856 for my Total Protection subscription.  I run Windows XP (I know), but during my first shut down after update, the hard drive started to make loud skipping noises.  When I restarted, also got noise at startup, and the first boot was not complete.  The security center update had trouble, and certain items weren't originally working.  For example, trying to access the Firewall caused the McAfee application to hang, and it needed to be forcibly stopped.  Eventually the security center update was complete.  Needed to reboot.  Twice I believe.  More ominous hard drive noises.  Sounds like an imminent hard drive failure.  But, very strange that my 1.5 year old hard drive was running smoothly until that update.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  Could it be that a McAfee service is not terminating properly and is still causing HD spin into shut down?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points