6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2013 8:17 AM by gabriel_86

Stinger and Remote Path

gabriel_86

Hi Guys,

I'm writting for a simple question.

Often we need, for a customer, to run Stinger tool to allow us to clean some workstation that seems to be infected.

We deploy the Stinger tool with ePO 4.6.6 and in the field "Command line" we use the reportpath option configured as remote share path; for give an example we use something like this: \\machinesname.localdomain.it\share$\StingerReport.

Someone can tell us if it's correct and will be work this solution? Doing some tests, the share result empty unlike the Stinger that runs correctly.

Hope that someone can help us!

Thanks a lot

Regards

Gabriel

• 1. Re: Stinger and Remote Path

I am guessing that because stinger will run under the local system account (because it's running through the MA, not through a user session), that share location won't be available to it because it will require authenticated creds?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stinger and Remote Path
            gabriel_86

Hi SafeBoot

You are guessing right. It would be possible. Infact we have requested to the customer SysAdmin more information about the access privilege of the share. In your opinion the configuration of Stinger is correct? Could work fine?

Tnhx

Gabriel

• 3. Re: Stinger and Remote Path

I must admit I've never tried it, but if it will write to a local path, then the only difference usually is access rights?

You need to create an anonymous access profile on the share.

One question - if the share is on the local machine though, can't you use a relative path to find it? Why would you use a \\ path for a local folder?

• 4. Re: Stinger and Remote Path
                gabriel_86

Yes, at this point the only problem will to own access right.

About your question: We use the "\\path" because the share isn't on the local machine but in a File Server that the customer give to us the access to collect, in one shoot, all the Stinger report 

Unfortunately we haven't access to single machine. So this seems to be the fastest and simple method

• 5. Re: Stinger and Remote Path

I get it - that's what I suspected.

when you wrote \\machinesname.localdomain.it\share$\StingerReport.

though, I didn't know if it was "some machine name" or the actual machine name of the machine running stinger.

• 6. Re: Stinger and Remote Path
                    gabriel_86

You're welcome!

Thanks a lot for consultancy. We will proceed with the customer sysadmin to try to solve the inconvenience.

Regards

Gabriel