4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 2:23 PM by exbrit

Can't turn Real-Time Scanning on...

I just purchase McAfee for my new laptop and it seems to work (receiving software updates notifications popups, etc.), but I continue to get the "Real Time Scanning is Off" notifications.  I click Turn On, and it then changes to green, but a few seconds later goes right back to red, saying my computer is unprotected.  Am I missing something?  Do I already have a virus?  Thanks for any help in advance.

• 1. Re: Can't turn Real-Time Scanning on...
          exbrit

Is your system totally up to date inclusing all browsers and add-ons even if you don't use them?

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds issue and fixes them:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

• 2. Re: Can't turn Real-Time Scanning on...
            exbrit

Moved to VirusScan as a more appropriate spot for support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/10/13 3:03:59 EDT PM
            • 3. Re: Can't turn Real-Time Scanning on...

System is up to date.  Ran the Virtual Technician...it apparently fixed some problems with registry, but I still have other problems--it says missing files, etc.  It appeared to fix most issues, however.  But when I went to click Turn On Real-scanning again, it still acts like it works...and a few seconds later goes back to red.

• 4. Re: Can't turn Real-Time Scanning on...
                exbrit

Have you run any kind of registry cleaners lately?  These are notorious for causing this kind of thing.    If so see if there's a reverse setting.  If not, check for malware using perhaps Stinger and then Malwarebytes Free, see the last link in my signature below.  Also make sure that Internet Explorer, even if you don't use it, is up to date and at default settings.  (The McAfee interface uses it).

Then if no improvement try uninstalling everything via Control Panel > Programs

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Then reinstall your software from your online account.

If that fails to cure the situation, contact Technical Support direct.

It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.