1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 5:02 AM by Peter M

Cannot close informational alerts

oldtimer

For the last week or so I haven't been able to close any informational alerts e.g. software updated, real-time scanning turned off, etc in McAfee Total Security. Trying to kill it with Windows Task Manager gives a security error and says I don't have permission. The message blocks the view of the bottom right of my screen. I have to reboot to get rid of it. This is in Windows XP SP3. I tried a repair with MVT but that didn't find anything wrong. I tried to uninstall in Add/Remove Programs but that just hangs at the screen that says I still have an active subscription. I used MCPR to remove the software, rebooted and reinstalled but it's stiil locking up on informational alerts.

• 1. Re: Cannot close informational alerts
          Peter M

The interface as a whole relies on a working, up to date Internet Explorer at default settings, even if you use another browser as your default one.    So make sure that your system is absolutely up to date and IE is version 8.

Perhaps your best bet would be to contact Technical Support as you've already run MVT.

It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/10/13 4:26:20 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: Cannot close informational alerts
            Peter M

By the way, that warning you got when you went to uninstall is normal and if you wish to proceed just ignore it.

You could try that by all means but after uninstalling run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot before reinstalling from the online account.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/10/13 4:39:24 EDT PM
            • 3. Re: Cannot close informational alerts
              oldtimer

Thanks ex_Brit. The Windows system is fully up-to-date and I'm using IE8. My previous experience of using Technical Support has not been great - I regret to say the last time I tried it the technician ran non-McAfee programs without permission and damaged some files so I thought I'd try the discussion forum instead.

• 4. Re: Cannot close informational alerts
                oldtimer

Yes Ex-Brit, I realise the subscription info is normal. What was not normal was that it just hung at that point.  The uninstall would not start. I had to reboot to escape the screen.

• 5. Re: Cannot close informational alerts
                  Peter M

Well that's where Tech Support is best.  Are all your browser add-ons up to date, Java, Flash etc. ?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/10/13 4:59:40 EDT PM
                  • 6. Re: Cannot close informational alerts
                    oldtimer

"That's where Tech Support is best" - what - at screwing up my machine? That's what the technician did last time. As the files were client-related I can't take the risk that they'll do it again. Yes I did have a backup but that doesn't negate the risk factor. To be honest previous live online support hasn't been great either.  All my add-ons are up-to date. I currently have 5 machines with McAfee on. Only one is affected by this problem but the others are on Win 7 & 8. I've been using McAfee products since the early 1990's so I'm pretty familiar with the general operations.

• 7. Re: Cannot close informational alerts
                      Peter M

It's been ages since I had something stuck non my screen but it can happen for no apparent reason.  I find I can usually end whatever it is using Task Manager and it always helps to do the Disk Cleanup now and again in Control Panel ? System and Maintenance.

It's a shame you've had a bad experience with TS.  I've used them on occasion and always had a good one, but then as a Moderator they always arrange for a senior technician to contact me.  You can get that same level by asking for immediate escalation.

• 8. Re: Cannot close informational alerts
                        oldtimer

Unfortunately, as previously mentioned, Task Manager won't kill the info box because even as an administrator I don't have enough privilege.

I'll try tech support with the immediate escalation idea. I suppose I can always pull the network plug if they get too adventurous!

Message was edited by: oldtimer on 21/10/13 04:55:52 CDT
                        • 9. Re: Cannot close informational alerts
                          Peter M

Before you do run a couple of extra anti-malware tools such as Malwarebytes Free and AdwCleaner, both listed under 3rd Party Tools in the last link in my signature below.   It wont do any harm to do so and if you leave Malwarebytes installed be prepared for support to uninstall it, they always do, but it is OK to reinstall it afterwards.

There should be no need to disconnect from support like that ever, they do not look at personal stuff, only stuff pertaining to security protection and Windows processes associated with it.

1 2 Previous Next