9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2013 7:00 PM by exbrit

Upcoming Release of Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7

catdaddy

Although Microsoft has slated a release date "Sometime this Fall" Maybe quite possibly this upcoming "Update Tuesday"-November 5th, 2013.

No definite time frame has been given.

My Question is...Will there be any additional steps needed to install?

Given the fact that the "Buit-in - Anti-Virus" in Windows 8.1 conflicts with other Security Vendors, Will this also be an issue in the Windows 7 Version of

Internet Explorer 11 ?  By saying additional steps, I mean such as having to uninstall McAfee Total Protection, before downloading and installing IE11. Much similar to

when it was required to do when Windows 7 Service Pack 1 was released.

After conversing with other individuals, and their experiences with Windows 8.1 and the features offered,or lack of. I think I will stick with Windows 7 and, wait for a "Much improved" Windows Blue- or Windows 9" to come along. I,m simply not into the Touch-screen Platform and all that has changed. However there has been a few, that eventually became accustomed to it, and I might also add..."McAfee Total Protection" worked fine with Windows 8.1"  Of course with Microsofts Anti-Virus turned off.

As usual , I,m longwinded...Thank you for any insight on this...

CatDaddy

• 1. Re: Upcoming Release of Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7
          exbrit

It shouldn't be a major issue and the only thing I can think of that might have teething problems with it would be SiteAdvisor, although it's working fine in my 8.1 Pro's IE11.

That "Buit-in - Anti-Virus" in Windows 8.1" you refer to is Windows Defender....it is automatically disabled when you install any other security software that includes antivirus, which is how it should be.

IE11 doesn't come with any added baggage such as antivirus.   It's just another version of IE and a good one too, even though I still prefer Firefox.

Best to temporarily disable McAfee VirusScan during the upgrade I would think, just in case.

• 2. Re: Upcoming Release of Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7
            catdaddy

Thanks again Ex Brit. By you saying that the Version for Windows 7 does not come with any extra-baggage such as the "Beefed-up Version" of Windows Defender, answered my Question.  I will say that there is no conflict each month,when I allow the Windows "Malicious Software Removal Tool" to download and install.

That is leaving my "Real Time Scanning on"  as well. However I will turn off as you advised "Temporarily", just in case.

I Normally keep Windows Defender (Disabled) anyway...although I know the Version is compatible in Windows7.

Thanks Again...:)

CatDaddy

• 3. Re: Upcoming Release of Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7
              exbrit

MSRT is an important part of the monthly update cycle and should never be missed.   Windows Defender is a different thing in 8/8.1 than it is in 7.  It's your choice but I have it enabled in Vista and 7 and even installed it as an extra in XP when I had that installed.

Never disable Real-Time Scanning except in rare cicumstances, such as when installing Service Packs or upgrading a system as in 8 to 8.1 for instance or to report a false positive to McAfee Labs.

• 4. Re: Upcoming Release of Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7
                catdaddy

I most definitely agree that MSRT is a vital monthly update to install. Especially since it scans immediately after installation,and upon "Restarting" your system will prompt you of any Detections,if any. If I may go one step further, Lots of users are not aware of the fact that you can utilize it as a "On Demand" Scanner as well.

Normally running the "Quick Scan " of the Tool will suffice. Which relatively takes only 8-10 minutes on my machine.

(Times may vary dependent upon the amount of files on your harddisk.)  Should the "Quick Scan" detect anything, it will alert you to run a "Full Scan". Which is much longer, could be between 2-3 hours.

To periodically open and run the MSRT, all one has to do:

Windows 7 Service Pack 1

1- Left click on Start

2- Type in "MRT"

3- When the program comes up, left click on it to open.

4- UAC Prompt- Agree to open

5- Then click on "Next' and select "Quick-Full Scan"

Well , I,ve rambled on way too much for one day.

Have a "Good One"

CatDaddy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Upcoming Release of Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7
                  exbrit

Yes indeed I knew that but many didn't I am sure ;-)

• 6. Re: Upcoming Release of Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7
                    catdaddy

Although I see above this reply, "Correct Answer"-"Helpful Answer" I feel that the protocol would be that you as a "Moderator" should "Mark Answered" or "Correct Answer" For as I stated earlier, your response to my Question-Concerns"  were adequately responed to....on your part.

I hope in addition, that viewers of this thread also learned something as well

Regards,

CatDaddy

• 7. Re: Upcoming Release of Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7
                      exbrit

Hope I labelled the right one as correct, that really is up to you.

• 8. Re: Upcoming Release of Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7
                        catdaddy

Thatt would be "Correct" Asumed Answered.....

Thanks Ex Bit....

Regards...

Keep up the Good Work !!!