Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
594 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2014 3:55 PM by VriendP RSS
bblanchard Newcomer 31 posts since
Aug 27, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 15, 2013 12:58 PM

MEG 7.5 on VMWare Workstation

Is it possible to install MEG 7.5 on VMWare workstation or VMWare player ?

I have both ISOs of MEG (VMBuy and  the one for the physical appliances) but whenever I try to install them, I get the following error message:

Failed to identify the platform in use

Press the enter key to reboot the system.

I tried to install it using almost all OS options possible and I always get that error.

• andyclements Apprentice 131 posts since
    Jul 27, 2012
    1. Oct 15, 2013 2:22 PM (in response to bblanchard)
    Re: MEG 7.5 on VMWare Workstation

VMWare workstation is not a supported option, but there are a few things you can try to get it to install.  Grab a copy of the install guide, it will be of help.

System requirements:

• 2 virtual processors
    • 2 GB RAM
    • 80 GB hard drive
    • 2 NICs

Set the system up in this way.  You may still get the error message.  If you do, type

why

This will give you some generic messages about why the install failed, which may or may not be sufficient.  For more information, you can plug in and attach a flash drive, then, following the prompts, type

saveit

The output of this can be saved to the flash drive, which you can refer to later to see why it failed the identification.

• VriendP Newcomer 3 posts since
    Mar 12, 2007
    2. Feb 4, 2014 3:55 PM (in response to bblanchard)
    Re: MEG 7.5 on VMWare Workstation

It's very handy to use Email Gateway on VMWare Workstation for testing purposes.

What I did was I downloaded the virtual appliance (esx version): McAfee-MEG-7.5-2721.108.VMbuy_esx.ova is in the zip.

Imported the template into vmware workstation by choosing File --> Open and selecting the ova file. That did the trick.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points