4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2013 7:56 AM by SafeBoot RSS

Looking for some guidance, please. Malwarebytes has been unable to fully remove what the web suggests is a 'nasty' trojan. I've no obvious issues on my PC, it's running perfect - at least it seems to be. I've searched the Mcafee virus list (it does not show on a full Mcafee scan) and can't find it - also communities here but no matches appear.

Is there a removal tool of some sort out there or will it be a manual fix. I've looked at the programmes on my PC but can't see anything obviously matching in order to remove.

• 1. Re: pup.optional.wajam.a

No need to panic. a PUP or Possibly Unwanted Program is not necessarily bad & simply detected as something that you may not need and it's your choice whether or not to remove it.    It's probably some advertising gimmick that came along with somewthing else you downloaded.

The removal guide here seems as good as any I've seen on the web:  http://malwaretips.com/blogs/pup-optional-wajam-a-virus/

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/10/13 9:19:33 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: pup.optional.wajam.a

Wajam is supposed to have a built-in self-removal option. If the poster has let Malwarebytes try to delete it there may be traces left, particularly in the registry but also in the file system.

This is a definite Potentially-Unwanted Program since it often comes bundled with CNET downloads and - especially, it seems - games downloads. Just as with McAfee Security Scan Plus, the Ask toolbar and other such bundled programs, if you click through the download process without paying attention you get more than you bargained for.

The Wajam site reviews on WOT say that this is difficult to clear from your system once it's installed. If it comes with some other (unnamed) related programs they allegedly monitor each other and as soon as one is deleted the others will re-spawn it. That sounds a little far-fetched, having checked the company website and the Wikipedia entry. Nevertheless this one seems to put hooks into browsers that may be tricky to get rid of.

The company and its product are trying to cash in by modifying search results to reflect the Likes expressed by a person's social media network connections. At least I think that's how it's meant to work. Don't ask me how they make money out of that ... oh wait, they slip in loads of advertising. Yes, that makes sense.

https://www.wajam.com/faq  (which says you can uninstall but doesn't say how)

Wajam is a social search engine that lets users get recommendations from friends by letting them search through public and private data shared on social networking platforms. Wajam aggregates links posted by a user’s network in social networking services such asGoogle+, Facebook and Twitter to enhance organic search results in web browsers.

Its main product ...is a plug-in or browser extension that alters the results delivered by major search engines based on data from its users' social networks.

Undesired Installations

Wajam is sometimes bundled with other software, such as the latest version of a browser, a screensaver, or a game a user wants to download. Because the user did not seek out Wajam, which came as part of the bundle, bundling can lead to "accidental" installations without the end users' awareness or informed consent. Unwanted installations of Wajam also have the capability to "hijack" a browser's search functions and display undesired ads. While potentially valuable to users who chose to install it, Wajam has been identified by a number of anti-malware software programs (including Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) and several computer security websites as a "potentially unwanted program." Since it is designed to access private data, it makes individuals who have unintentionally installed it feel at risk. The company reports that it has received complaints concerning unintended installations, and has posted directions on its website to uninstall the software.

There's a four-page discussion about this on the Microsoft Community, complete with protestations of innocence from a couple of company representatives. It getsquite heated ... in the end I think the company lost on points.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_programs/ how-did-wajam-get-on-my-pc/5755a2e3-1acb-4910-a7c9-b75fdb43ddf3?page=1&tm=138205 5256622

Message was edited by: Hayton on 18/10/13 01:20:28 IST
            • 3. Re: pup.optional.wajam.a

Just a short message to say many thanks for all the advice.

• 4. Re: pup.optional.wajam.a

That thread is just priceless - the way they totally condemn Wajam as malware, without differentiating between things which do evil, and marketing methods which are disagreeable.

I'm not going to comment on the safety of their product, or their functionality, or how good their uninstaller is, but it's interesting to step back and think about the problem of "free" software - do we really believe that the developers of all the useful tools we find on CNET Downloads etc truly should work for free? Or are they entitled to some small compensation for their work? If they can't get that compensation through optional payments, should we really condemn them for including other stuff (which does earn them a few cents) in their packaging?

To be clear, I am TOTALLY against including things like this without a tickbox to opt out, and personally, I don't like even including them, but I don't like the adverts you see prior to Youtube videos either.

However, I do appreciate that companies have to make money somehow, and like we get the "Skip ad after 4 seconds" button, we also get the "untick to not install this plugin". While we still have the choice, it seems that there was no foul...