7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 8:21 PM by btlyric

Question about the coaching feature

cryptochrome

Hi,

I played with the coaching rulesets and don't quite get what I would like to do. Right now I have it set up to coach the user for certain url categories. Works fine, the user is being coached when hitting the category I specified. However, if the user goes to a different site within the same category, he is not coached again. Can this be accomplished somehow?

Thanks

Sascha

• 1. Re: Question about the coaching feature
          asabban

Hi Sascha,

the coaching feature generally is "true" or "false", which means a user is within a coaching session ("he agreed on the coaching site") or he is not within a coaching session. If the user makes the first request to a category that requires coaching, the coaching page is shown and the user clicks the button. So now he is within a coaching session, and no longer coaching will appear, no matter what category the user or browsing.

It should be possible to use different MWG functionality such as PDStorage to create a "categoriy" or "website" specific coaching page, however there is no built-in functionality that performs this way, as far as I know.

Best,

Andre

• 2. Re: Question about the coaching feature
            Troja

Hi Sascha,

you can define a second PDStorage Value where you can store if the user has accepted any coaching page. This means, if the user gets the first coaching page and clicks "okay" an additional PDStorage Value is set to 1. This PDStorage value is set e.g. to 2 hours. In this szenario the coaching page for URL categories is just shown one time for any URL which belongs to the coached URL categories.

Take a look at the attached ruleset, perhaps there is a hint included for you.

Cheers,

Thorsten

Nachricht geändert durch Troja on 14.10.13 12:57:10 MESZ
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Question about the coaching feature
              cryptochrome

Thomas, thank for that ruleset, I am going to take a look at it tomorrow. However, it seems you are giving me advise on how to not coach a user more than 1 time, and I am looking for the exact opposite:

Say I coach for URL category "Web Meetings". User hits gotomeeting.com and is being coached. Then he goes to webex.com and should be coached again. Basically I want to warn a user every single time he hits a new URL from the same category.

Does that make any sense (sorry, no native english speaker)?

• 4. Re: Question about the coaching feature
                otruniger

Yes, it makes sense what you like to accomplish.

Using PDStorage is probably the way to go. However this could get very complicated if you want to confirm every webserver.

What if one portal of a "Web Meeting" uses URLs of several different servers, maybe even from different domains?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Question about the coaching feature
                  cryptochrome

otruniger wrote:

Yes, it makes sense what you like to accomplish.

Using PDStorage is probably the way to go. However this could get very complicated if you want to confirm every webserver.

What if one portal of a "Web Meeting" uses URLs of several different servers, maybe even from different domains?

Very good point. I haven't really considered this yet. And now that I think about it, you are absolutely right. Just this fact alone makes the whole thing useless.

I am going to stick with normal coaching then

Thanks everybody!

• 6. Re: Question about the coaching feature
                    Troja

Hey Otruniger,

you are right. I tested today out of curiosity an Austrian newspaper site. There are more than 10 domains used when just loading the main page.

But i saw one consistend thing. The HTTP Header Referer contained always the same URL Host. If you store this value in the PDStorage coaching each website could work. Someone has to test it out.

Cheers,

Thorsten

• 7. Re: Question about the coaching feature
                      btlyric

I am using a combination of coaching and PD Storage to accomplish the user getting prompted for Personal Network Storage sites + the user being re-prompted if they go to a different site in the same category.

Above the content filter rules, I check for a referer value and if I find one, I assign it to User-Defined.Referer.

In the content filter rule set, the relevant rule set looks like this:

Personal Network Storage Download

Criteria: URL.Host.BelongsToDomains(Personal Network Storage Download) equals true

The domain list contains all domains I want to permit and their associated domains.

Coaching Redirect

Quota.Coaching.IsActivationRequest equals true AND PDStorage.GetUserData.String (String.Concat("Content-Warning-",URL.Host)) <Personal Network Storage Download> equals "TRUE"

Action: Redirect

Events: PDStorage.AddUserData.String (String.Concat("Content-Warning",URL.Host), "Content Warning Accepted")<Personal Network Storage Download>

Fix xyz.com Referer

Criteria: URL.Host.BelongsToDomains(xyz.com) equals true AND User-Defined.Referer = ""

Action: Continue

Events: Set User-Defined.Referer="https://www.xyz.com"

Set PD Storage Values

Criteria: Always

Events: Set User-Defined.PDStorageURL.Host = String.Concat ("Content-Warning-",URL.Host)

Set User-Defined.PDStorageReferer = String.Concat ("Content-Warning-", String.ReplaceAllMatches (User-Defined.Referer, regex(^https?://((.*\.|^)(([\w]{1,50})(\.[\w]{2,3})))(/?.*)), "\1"))

Coaching Page

Criteria: PDStorage.GetUserData.String(User-Defined.PDStorageURL.Host)<Personal Network Storage Download> does not equal "Content Warning Accepted" AND

PDStorage.GetUserData.String(User-Defined.PDStorageReferer)<Personal Network Storage Download> does not equal "Content Warning Accepted" AND

(Quota.Coaching.SessionExceeded<Personal Network Storage Download> equals true OR

Quota.Coaching.SessionExceeded<Personal Network Storage Download> equals false)

Action: Block <coaching page>

Events: PDStorage.AddUserData.String (String.Concat ("Content-Warning-",URL.Host), "TRUE")<Personal Network Storage Download>

Block Uploads (this is optional unless you want to block uploads so I'm skipping it)

Coaching Passed

Criteria: PDStorage.GetUserData.String(User-Defined.PDStorageURL.Host)<Personal Network Storage Download> equals "Content Warning Accepted" OR

PDStorage.GetUserData.String(User-Defined.PDStorageReferer)<Personal Network Storage Download> does not equal "Content Warning Accepted"

Action: Stop Rule Set

Events: Set User-Defined.PersonalNetworkStorageWarningAccepted = true

The reason for setting two steps for PD Storage -- one for reaching the coaching page and one for accepting the terms is because we use coaching for other things and having activation strict was breaking things, but not having an additional criteria was breaking things if activation strict wasn't used.

The reason for setting the WarningAccepted property to true is that it's then referenced by the rule set that would otherwise block connections to personal network storage sites.

If you do decide to use PD Storage, I highly recommend checking out the PDs.tgz tool referenced in this post: https://community.mcafee.com/message/284023