4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2013 7:21 AM by absoblogginlutely

SaaS software mistakenly detects Trend installed on a machine - any tips?

absoblogginlutely

Fairly new to Mcafee software after moving away from Trend and I'm struggling to get Mcafee installed on some computers. The vssetup programs errors out and says that Trend is installed. I've ran the Trend uninstaller sa_uninstall package on the machine (twice), removed c:\program files(x86)\TrendMicro, removed references to Trend in the registry and still the installer program detects it.

I logged a ticket with support and after repeating the above steps twice, told me that I need to contact Trend to remove the software. The fact that it is Mcafee that is detecting the product * somewhere* was apparently irrelevant.  The tech also thought there was only one log file generated by vssetup.exe

Pertinent bits from the log file are included...

VsSetup.Exe, User is Administrator.

File Path : C:\vssetup.exe

Exe File Name : vssetup.exe

Build Information from version info is '7147'

VsSetup.Exe, RunOnce Key Does not exists.... Ignoring Key Deletion
      Performing an installation-reinstallation ...

VsSetup.Exe, Root install directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Managed VirusScan
      Comments from version info is 'English version built for McAfee'

This is not a SonicWall install package

Domain from version info is vs.mcafeeasap.com

Succeeded in registering C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\CIOD9AD.tmp\TPSCompUninstall.dll
      Setup detected the following Competitive products on your system

Trend Worry Free Bussiness Security

Failed to uninstall the following competitive products, pls uninstall them manually and retry the installation

Trend Worry Free Bussiness Security

VsSetup.Exe, *** ERROR *** Could not delete file C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\CIOD9AD.tmp\TPSCompUninstall.dll
      VsSetup.Exe, *** ERROR *** Could not delete file C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\CIOD9AD.tmp\TPSCompUninstall.dll
      VsSetup.Exe, *** ERROR *** occured deleting directories
      VsSetup.Exe, *** ERROR *** occured deleting directories
      VsSetup.Exe, *** ERROR *** An AV product could not be removed. Remove it manually and re-install Managed VirusScan.
      VsSetup.Exe, Setup.Exe has terminated.

[ResponseResult]

ResultCode=0

dest Log is : C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\Logs

At this point the tech completely failed to look at the c:\programdata\mcafee\managed virusscan\logs  (the last line in the txt file)....

This leads me to the following snippets in the log.

10-11 13:53:27    myInx:1330 CompetitiveUninstall.inx(0265): Call TrendWorryFree.Detect

10-11 13:53:27    myInx:1330 CompetitiveUninstall.inx(2910):   [TrendWorryFree.Detect]

10-11 13:53:27    myInx:1330 CompetitiveUninstall.inx(2845):   Set UninstallKey = {0A07E717-BB5D-4B99-840B-6C5DED52B277}

10-11 13:53:27    myInx:1330 CompetitiveUninstall.inx(2846):   FindRegValue bFound = HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{0A07E717-BB5D-4B99-84 0B-6C5DED52B277}, UninstallString

10-11 13:53:27    myInx:1330 CompetitiveUninstall.inx(2847):   ReturnIf TRUE == TRUE, TRUE

10-11 13:53:27    myInx:1330 CompetitiveUninstall.inx(0266): ReturnIf TRUE == TRUE, TRUE

10-11 13:53:27    myInx:1330 Script finished successfully!!

This leads me to believe the software is detecting trend. However the registry key referenced does not exist on the computer

I extracted the vssetup program and looked at competitiveuninstalls.xml. Worked my way through and checked the references it seems to point to - the uninstall directory, hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\installer\folders\ which had a reference to c:\windows\installer\{0A07E717-BB5D-4B99-840B-6C5DED52B277} which I deleted.

Running the install still didn't help.

I even tried removing the WorryFree section in the inx file  and then ran myinx /script=c:\mcafee\mycioagt.inx /log andy.txt   This did some stuff - msiexec runs in taskmgr and i get c:\windows\mycio\agent populated but no mcafee program running in the taskbar, no mcafee services exist. This was a complete guess as there doesn't seem to be any documentation on using the files that you've extracted from vssetup.exe

At this point I'm kind of stuck.

Any clues of fixing the mistaken detection for trend or removing the competitive product check?