5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2013 3:47 AM by mcdave

epo server 5.0.1 inaccessible after importing software & reboot.

mcdave

Hi,

We have set up an test epo 5.0.1 server before we start our migration from epo 4.5

All went well untill a reboot of the server (last performed actions where going through the first setup dashboard guide & creating a snapshot)

Since then I can't log on anymore to the console.

Remote I get an error (FireFox) "An unexpected error occurred while trying to handle your request." or (IE)

10-10-2013 17-52-16.png

(I first do get the certificate message)

The orion.log file doesn't look that heatly as well, it contains errors like:

2013-10-10 17:23:50,339 ERROR [localhost-startStop-2] plugin.PluginManager  - Initialization of plugin ProductDeployment failed.

com.mcafee.orion.core.plugin.depend.DependencyException: Dependent plugin ComputerMgmt failed with initialization error

2013-10-10 17:23:50,433 ERROR [localhost-startStop-2] plugin.PluginManager  - Initialization of plugin APROTMAC2000 failed.

com.mcafee.orion.core.plugin.depend.DependencyException: Dependent plugin ComputerMgmt failed with initialization error

2013-10-10 17:23:50,511 ERROR [localhost-startStop-2] plugin.PluginManager  - Initialization of plugin VSCANMAC9500 failed.

2013-10-10 17:23:50,605 ERROR [localhost-startStop-2] plugin.PluginManager  - Initialization of plugin CommonEvents failed.

2013-10-10 17:23:50,730 ERROR [localhost-startStop-2] plugin.PluginManager  - Initialization of plugin Notifications failed.

com.mcafee.orion.core.plugin.depend.DependencyException: Dependent plugin CommonEvents failed with initialization error

2013-10-10 17:40:50,518 ERROR [http-bio-8095-exec-24] servlet.ControllerServlet  - an unexpected error occurred while core's bean factory was not available

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Bean factory is shut down

at com.mcafee.orion.core.spring.MultiParentBeanFactory.checkEnabled(MultiParentBea nFactory.java:517)

at com.mcafee.orion.core.spring.MultiParentBeanFactory.getBean(MultiParentBeanFact ory.java:208)

at com.mcafee.orion.core.servlet.LoginServlet.addLoginHook(LoginServlet.java:276)

at com.mcafee.orion.core.servlet.LoginServlet.doPost(LoginServlet.java:269)

at com.mcafee.orion.core.servlet.LoginServlet.doGet(LoginServlet.java:54)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:621)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:728)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFil terChain.java:305)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain .java:210)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke(ApplicationDispatcher.jav a:749)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.processRequest(ApplicationDispat cher.java:487)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.doForward(ApplicationDispatcher. java:412)

at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.forward(ApplicationDispatcher.ja va:339)

at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator.forwardToLoginPage(FormAuth enticator.java:425)

at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator.authenticate(FormAuthentica tor.java:280)

at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.ja va:544)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:171)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:99)

at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:936)

at com.mcafee.orion.core.server.AjaxValve.invoke(AjaxValve.java:84)

at com.mcafee.orion.core.server.OrionUserSetupValve.invoke(OrionUserSetupValve.jav a:41)

at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn.invoke(SingleSignOn.java:309)

at com.mcafee.orion.core.server.OrionSingleSignOn.invoke(OrionSingleSignOn.java:20 4)

at com.mcafee.orion.core.server.ClientCertValve.invoke(ClientCertValve.java:64)

at com.mcafee.orion.core.server.ExternalAuthenticationStrategyExtPointValve.invoke (ExternalAuthenticationStrategyExtPointValve.java:69)

at com.mcafee.orion.core.server.ParameterEncodingValve.invoke(ParameterEncodingVal ve.java:34)

at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:11 8)

at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:407)

at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processo r.java:1004)

at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractPr otocol.java:589)

at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:312 )

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1145)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:615)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

(Attached full orion log)

How can I recover the epo server again without a reinstallation?

It's becoming urgent due to the eol time of epo 4.5 is reaching fast, luckily this happened in the test environment I can't imagine it happening in our live environment at least it doesn't give a safe feeling)

Regards,

Dave

• 1. Re: epo server 5.0.1 inaccessible after importing software & reboot.
          JoeBidgood

It looks like there was a problem during the installation of an extension - in this case McAfee Security for Microsoft Exchange v8.0 Patch1 - which left it in a partially installed state, and may conceivably have broken other things.

Are you familiar with the procedure for checking the extensions? If not, please do the following and we can take a look:

1) Run the following query against the ePO DB, and save the results to a text file:
          select * from orionextensions

2) Zip up the <epo install directiry>\Server\conf directory into a zip archive

3) Create a text file directory listing of the ePO installation , for example by doing dir <epo install folder> /s > C:\dirlist.txt

Zip these three items into another zip and attach it here, and hopefully we can figure out what's happening.

Thanks -

Joe

• 2. Re: epo server 5.0.1 inaccessible after importing software & reboot.
            mcdave

Hi JoeBidgood,

Can I PM you the requested information, I don't wan't to share this with everyone on the forum because it may contain sensitive information.

regards,
            Dave

• 3. Re: epo server 5.0.1 inaccessible after importing software & reboot.
              mcdave

Yes I'm very  familiar with the extention checkin procedure.

In this case I've checked it in via the Guide Dashboard (which is new compared to ePO 4.5)

The checkin of the extentions & applications went flawless (I mean it didn't report any issues, I noticed the issue started after rebooting the server, but I suppose it could have been occured earlier when I logged out & in the console)

I would like to chechout the problematic extention if only I could access the console, I don't know how to do it manually.

Regards

Dave

Message was edited by: mcdave on 11/10/13 03:51:31 CDT
              • 4. Re: epo server 5.0.1 inaccessible after importing software & reboot.
                JoeBidgood

Okay, from the look of things we definitely have a partially installed extension. The filesystem entries are there, but there is no matching database entry, and no matching config xml file.

Please stop the services, remove the C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\Server\extensions\installed\MSME____8000 folder, and then start the services again - you should now be able to log in once ePO has started.

HTH -

Joe

• 5. Re: epo server 5.0.1 inaccessible after importing software & reboot.
                  mcdave

Thx a lot Joe, it wat indeed an empty extention folder for MSME

(Too bad the epo console wont work due to this kind of corruption.)