1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 8:12 PM by Peter M

new version install querie

tatertot22

I have a Dell computer that came with McAfee Security center 11.6., it's  due to run out in 4 days.

I have bought McAfee internet security 2013, do I need to unistall the security center before installing the internet security 2013?

Have read where some people have  had a lot of problems getting  the I.S. 2013 loaded.

Thanks if you can help me prevent any headaches.

• 1. Re: new version install querie
          Peter M

When replacing software with a different version it's wise to go through the complete uninstall method (via Control Panel > Programs, then use the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot) before installing new software, especially in this case because your current software will be Dell branded.

Also make sure your PC is totally up to date, including Internet Explorer and add-ons, whether you use it or not.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/10/13 9:52:38 EDT AM
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: new version install querie
            tatertot22

thank you Ex_Brit,

first I've heard of the MCPR tool,  I just clicked on it in your link to see what would happen.

Do I  run or save then proceed?

• 3. Re: new version install querie
              tatertot22

also, I will just run my windows updates ....assuming that will take care of everything per updates? 

I do use IE .  Am a bit of a novice when it comes to techie stuff on computers, sorry.

• 4. Re: new version install querie
                Peter M

Many people have problems because, amongst other things, they failed to use that tool.  When you are ready to use it save it to your desktop.  Right-click > Properties and Unblock (if blocked) if necessary.  Then you can run it whenever.   I would wait until you're ready to install the new software because MCPR is constantly being updated.  Discard the tool once you've finsihed.

• 5. Re: new version install querie
                  Peter M

Sorry missed your second response.   What version of IE is installed?   Click Help/About.  Also what operting system and service pack is this?   (Right-click Computer on your desktop of in the Start Menu and select Properties, that will tell you).

• 6. Re: new version install querie
                    Peter M

BTW we were all novices once, so don't worry!!

• 7. Re: new version install querie
                      tatertot22

Thanks again, you're  always a huge help and make me feel well...not so dumb. 

I have windows 7  sp1 64 bit   and my IE is 10.

• 8. Re: new version install querie
                        Peter M

Oh don't mention it, you are most welcome!   System is OK by the sound of it.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/10/13 10:57:13 EDT AM
                        • 9. Re: new version install querie
                          tatertot22

Hi again Peter or whoever may can help me.

Ok, Internet Security 2013 is installed, went off without a glitch for the most part thanks to your insructions.

It did want me to get rid of 2 considered incompatible programs one of which was " Mcafee Feature".  I did nothing about that one ( didn't see where I could )  but did get rid of malwarebytes which I prob. will put back on unless I shouldn't?

In any event, it seems to be working and I have one question.

Under navigation>features ( under settings ) >real time scanning> then  "settings"  and  then  under  "scan for these threats ";   Viruses trojans, worms, bots, rootkits has a check mark  but the whole area is kind of grayed out, if you will.

The other option that is checked   is in bold  black  and is the spyware and other potential unwanted programs option.

Am I safe to assume I will be scanning for the viruses, trojans, etc. at the same time as the spyware , etc. also ?

Also, under " scan these attachments and locations "   PC hard drive automatic is checked but it too is grayed out,  will it be scanning my hard drive when running a full scan?

1 2 Previous Next