6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2013 9:50 AM by JoeBidgood

ePO 5.0.1 server rebuild

davei

I have ePO 5.0.1 on Server 2008 R2, upgraded in-place from 4.6.x (whatever the latest version was at the time).  Upgrade seemed to go fine.

Having a few niggles, i need to restart the server each morning, and performance is choppy, otherwise working fine.  Products of note are MA 4.8, EEPC 7.0.2, EEM 11, EEFF 4.2, MOVE 3, DCC 3, VSE 8.8, VSEL 1.9,

I want to rebuild the host machine, with a fresh install of 5.0.1 while preserving all policies, keys, tasks etc.  Hostname and IP address can remain the same (thank god for VMs right?).

DB is on remote MSSQL, the SQL server hosts many other databases so i want to leave it alone.

PG talks about new DR feature and Snapshots.  How does this rough plan sound?:

• Take ePO Snapshot, shutdown current ePO server.

• Build new Win 2008 R2 server with same hostname and IP address.
      • Install fresh ePO 5.0.1 using 'restore' method, pointing to original\existing SQL database that includes the ePO snapshot.

Naieve perhaps, but seems simple enough?  Anybody been through this or have any experience\advice to share?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: ePO 5.0.1 server rebuild
          JoeBidgood

That should be fine - it sounds simple but that's exactly how it's supposed to work

For a belt-and-braces approach, I would strongly suggest taking a full database backup after you take the ePO snapshot, and - since it's a VM - you could also snapshot the VM if you wished. (I'd recommend stopping the ePO services, taking a backup of the DB, then snapshotting the VM at that point so that you know that the VM and DB will be in sync.)

HTH -

Joe

• 2. Re: ePO 5.0.1 server rebuild
            davei

Thanks Joe. Will give it a shot and report back.

• 3. Re: ePO 5.0.1 server rebuild
              rgc

Adding some more information for your query...

Steps to Restore the snapshot.
              -------------------------------------------

• Take the Backup of the EPO DB after the snapshot process completion.
              • Then Install SQL and restore the EPO DB ( with snapshot taken).
              • Install the EPO 5.x, and enable the check box "Restore ePO from an Existing database snapshot" and it ask for keystore encryption password to proceed.
              • This helps to avoid backing up the folders and moreover it restores back to previous working condition.

Additionally: Attached the document with screenshots for the steps to perform the snapshot process, as I have re-produced the issue in test environment internally.

Message was edited by: rgc on 9/28/13 6:03:53 PM CDT
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: ePO 5.0.1 server rebuild
                davei

Well well well McAfee..................

Impressive stuff.  All done, took very little time all things considered, from taking ePO Snapshot, through template deployment (vsphere) to first login to ePO probably took about an hour.  I now have a new-build 2008 R2 VM, with ePO 5.0.1 installed running exactly the same configuration as before.  But a lot snappier which was exactly the result I was after.

I expected to have to tweak a load of settings and plumb in, for example, SMTP, LDAP creds, etc. but it appears to all be restored.  I didn't even have to re-register EMM or MOVE SVAs which i fully expected to have to do.

Top marks for this new feature!

Couple more things to do, in my environment, install MRT server on new ePO VM, RSDSensor, couple of little things outside the scope of ePO installation\restoration.

Thank you both for your assistance.

• 5. Re: ePO 5.0.1 server rebuild
                  tony.lin

Hi

How to backup the SnapShot port of database?

• 6. Re: ePO 5.0.1 server rebuild
                    JoeBidgood

Hi...

The snapshot is saved as part of the ePO database, so all you have to do is back up the ePO database as normal.

HTH -

Joe