Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
624 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 19, 2013 10:47 PM by hschupp RSS
darrenmack Newcomer 4 posts since
Sep 26, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 26, 2013 12:06 PM

how to upgrade m1250 sensor

I seem to be unable to find how to do this in a document, or that it assumes you already know where to put the software.  My m1250 is currently at version 5.1.7 and I'm looking to move it and the manager to 7.x (going through 6.x in the process of getting there).

When I select "Devices" and then "Software Upgrade" in the manager, it lists "Not available" under "New Version".

I've downloaded multiple versions of the swnsorsw_1250_xxxx.jar files for each intermediate release, but I don't seem to know where to put them to have the UI find them.  I've tried the most logical place I can see, which is "Program Files\McAfee\Network Security Manager\App\offline_downloads", but of course that doesn't work.  I can't see any other directories that would be an obvious location to put them, and the online help offers no assistance.

Can somebody point me in the right direction with this, please?

• gfergus1 McAfee SME 125 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    1. Sep 26, 2013 1:23 PM (in response to darrenmack)
    Re: how to upgrade m1250 sensor

Hi Darren,

It sounds like your manager is at an older version (5.x?) and does not support the newer software version you are looking to load.  The manager should be upgraded first.

Once the manager is upgraded the newer versions should show up in the available list of updates.  There is also a "manual import" option available under the Manager -> Update Server section, but be sure your manager version supports the version you wish to install by checking the release notes first.

Regards.

• hschupp Newcomer 20 posts since
    Dec 11, 2008
    5. Oct 19, 2013 10:47 PM (in response to darrenmack)
    Re: how to upgrade m1250 sensor

Darren -

You mention that the M-1250 is at version 5.1.7.x .. which is .x?

Here would be my recommendation based on what I do gather from your email:

1. Upgrade the M-1250 to 5.1.11.122 (can be upgraded from 5.1.7.43 or later)

You should be able to see 5.1.11.122 from the NSM Configure/Manager/Update Server/Software page under the M-1250.

You can just select the 5.1.11.122 version and then click on the Download button to load it to the NSM.

If your manager does not have web access then download that version from the Product Downloads site along with:

M-1250 sensor software 6.1.1.154

Store these files on your local desktop or on the server in any folder you wish... c:\NSP\SSW is good enough.

Then, from the same "Update Server" menu select "Manual Import" and point to each of the files that you downloaded and import them into the manager.

Get select the M-1250 sensors you need to upgrade and push the 5.1.11.122 sensor software to them and reboot them when it tells you to.

Stop .. do not deploy 6.1.1.154 yet.

2. Upgrade the NSM from 6.0.7.24 up to 6.1.1.34

Use the NSM Upgrade guide if you have any questions on the upgrade of the NSM.

General summary is:

a. Perform both an ALL-TABLES and a CONFIG-TABLES backup of the NSM

b. Stop the NSM, NSM UI, and NSM Watchdog services  (NSM Database Service should still be running)

c. Run the setup of the 6.1.1.34 NSM software and follow the prompts.

d. If you have more than a million alerts in the database it will tell you to run the offline scripts after the upgrade is completed.

The instructions on running these scripts are better-described in the 7.1 Upgrade guide both in how to run them and what they do

(They take the 6.0.7.24 alert and packetlog schema tables and convert them to the 6.1.1.34 schema)

3. Once the NSM is upgraded to 6.1.1.34 now you can push the 6.1.1.154 Sensor software out to the M-1250.

If you have other sensors that have not yet been upgraded to 6.1.1.154 get them up to that version as well.

This will put you at the prime position to move to 7.1 when you are ready.

The Server hosting the NSM application will HAVE to be at Windows 2008 R2 before you go to NSP Version 7.x

If the Server is a McAfee NSM Appliance (Dell 1950 or R300, or Intel SR1695) currently under support - there is a free upgrade kit to take the server to Windows 2008 R2.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points