I couldn't update for several days recently (automatic or manual) and the virtual technician couldn't find anything either. To cut a long story short the solution that worked for me was to set the automatic updates to "download updates but notify me before installing", clicking Navigation, going to General Settings and Alerts, and deactivating Access Protection. After this I ran the virtual techician again, then restarted the computer. After this the updates worked as normal.
I'm not saying this will work for you as but give it try, and good luck.
If stray-cat's solution doesn't help I suggest contacting Technical Support directly, it's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.
You pretty much nailed it. Hmmmm.... Working off of what you wrote, I:
1. disabled auto-update, then
2. deactivated Access Protection (per your directions), then
3. did a manual update - it worked this time, then
4. reenabled auto-update, then
5. reactiviated Access Protection.
It may be that all was required was the deactivate - update - reactivate, but I won't be able to try that until next time this happens.
Anyway, Cool! for me, not cool for McAfee.
I try never to contact McAfee tech support - my experiences down that road always end badly and make McAfee look even worse. If it comes to that, I uninstall and reinstall.
I've documented my web chats with McAfee as case examples for customer service training companies, I hope maybe some good can come out that anyway.
Did you guys run any registry cleaners that may have altered or removed registry keys and caused the issue to start with? It isn't a normkal situation to be in, but glad it's fixed for you. Good luck.
Just on a lark, I (having reactivated Access Protection), tried a manual updated and - got the "No Internet Connection" message again.
So, I just deactivated Access Protection and - the manual update process ran without error.
I conclude that Access Protection is somehow getting in the way of - even checking for - updates. That isn't good.
no registry cleaner operation that I'm aware of.
It looks like something about your Network isn't set correctly but what I have no idea.
Access Protection is there to stop outside influences from falsely altering McAfee settings....it's one of the steps to preventing certain infections from working. I know you have problems with the suggestion of Technical Support but you could tell them you already tried their help and ask them to escalate the matter this time around.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Had the same issue. Discovered that the adobe acrobat updates needed to be installed. Once I did this the issue disappeared. Sounds like the McAfee update is red flagging the proxy server when it's adobe software bits and pieces are not up to date. Hope this helps.