Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
831 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2014 12:25 PM by runcmd RSS
kdesnayer Newcomer 52 posts since
Oct 14, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 18, 2013 9:55 AM

6.7.2 to 7.5 migration tool

Has anyone seen and or used a tool to migrate MEG from 6.7.2 to v 7.5?

• andyclements Apprentice 131 posts since
    Jul 27, 2012
    1. Sep 18, 2013 10:44 AM (in response to kdesnayer)
    Re: 6.7.2 to 7.5 migration tool

There is no tool to migrage from 6.x to 7.x, the products are just too dissimilar in how the rules are created and used.  Becuase of this everything generally needs to get converted by hand.  I like to think of this as a good time to clean up unneeded or complex rules.

I am working on something that will export some of the lists that are supported in 7.5 (currently up to the following sections: Permitted Connections, Relaying Email, Delivering Email, DNS Servers, Routing, and NTP servers), and will output much of the rest of the system settings that would be needed in the upgrade, including network, LDAP and certificate information. In the future I may have a way to include the dictionaries and envelope analysis (basically the same things in MEG7).  It isn't ready for public consumption in any way yet, but will let you know when it gets close - just don't hold your breath, it takes a lot of work.

I know one of the IronMail L3's has some tools of his own, but I don't think they are handed out to anyone else yet either.  If I know him they are just good enough for his own use, not really safe for human consumption.

Edit: I wouldn't call support looking for the tools, it will probably just annoy them.  --Andy on 9/18/13 10:44:02 AM CDT
  • jenastar Newcomer 4 posts since
    Jan 18, 2013
    3. Nov 14, 2013 9:35 PM (in response to kdesnayer)

Any update on this? Migrations HURT right now, no joke.

Jul 27, 2012
    4. Nov 21, 2013 11:30 PM (in response to jenastar)

I'm still working on it.  It is getting close to usable by the public (usable and useful are two separate things here...), but isn't a very high priority at the moment.  I will have some more time for it over the next two weeks.

Jul 27, 2012
    5. Jan 29, 2014 4:59 PM (in response to andyclements)

I don't know if it will be of any use at this point, but what I have is available at http://projects.randomtechnophile.com/imexport.

Note a few things about this:

• The site is not served over SSL.  That would cost money, and I'm not making anything off this.
    • I will have a copy of the certificates that are in the backup.  The idea is that you can export them, so duh.  Will eventually implement a way to delete them separately for after you have exported them.
    • NO WARRANTIES.  I don't have time to fix things if they break, but I'll do what I can.

This is still a work in progress, and several of the major lacking areas will be addressed in the next couple days, as I will need to be using it next week.

There is a bug in the import feature at the moment where the database is not loaded (oops), but I plan to have that resolved today or tomorrow.  If anyone decides to try things before I get that fixed, send me a PM and I will load the data in manually.  Every other part of the process is working as designed, so it only takes me about 30s to load the data.

• ijahnke McAfee Employee 118 posts since
    May 12, 2010
    6. Jan 29, 2014 7:20 PM (in response to andyclements)

Or they can call in and support can run some scripts that will export dictionaries, whitelists, and domains

• runcmd Apprentice 221 posts since
    Feb 22, 2006
    7. Jan 30, 2014 12:25 PM (in response to ijahnke)

This is a ray of sunshine! Did this just become an available option? Being unable to migrate dictionaries and whitelists is exactly why I was holding off on upgrading. Do we just open a case?

---
    Start/RunCMD...
    C:\>
    ePO v4.5 / MA v4.6.0 / VSE v8.8, P1 / Engine v5400
    MEG (IronMail) v7.6-2810

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points