8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2013 6:27 PM by Peter M

Virus Blocking All Downloads

OK, I have been working this for a week.

PC: Toshiba Satellite laptop

AV: McAfee All Access

Issue:

Windows updates have stopped working. ALL (repeat) ALL downloads are deleted due to supposedly all containing viruses. Any Windows related security measure such as firewall have been disabled and can't be started.

Steps so far: 

(Obvious) Complete scans with McAfee and Malwarebytes. Detected and deleted various Viruses, trojans, spyware. Also, I have downloaded (on seperate pc) several diiferent rescue disks (Kaspersky, AVG, bitdefender) and ran them on boot up from infected PC. They have removed and or fixed several issues. BUT issue still exists. McAfee and Malwarebytes no longer find anything but I can't fix the issue.

Also, in safe mode, McAfee active scanning keeps shutting off so I know the virsu is still there.

NOW:

Help please. What can I do next?????

Thanks!!!!

• 1. Re: Virus Blocking All Downloads
          Hayton

dezurtrat wrote:

Detected and deleted various Viruses, trojans, spyware.

.. removed and or fixed several issues.

So something is still present on the laptop. It would help to know what it was that got detected and removed; it's quite likely you've got a rootkit. Possibly the malware is phoning home to get new malware from a server somewhere. Whatever it is is still blocking downloads from Microsoft, which is a bad sign.

Have you tried Windows Defender Offline?

• 2. Re: Virus Blocking All Downloads

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm creating the Windows Defender Offline disk now. I'll report back with the results when that scan is complete.

• 3. Re: Virus Blocking All Downloads

Well, unfortunately, it won't boot from that CD <sigh>

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Virus Blocking All Downloads
                Hayton

Move on to the next option then ...

The malware appears to be targeting Microsoft in particular but you've managed to run McAfee and Malwarebytes, so let's try a couple of other tools available from McAfee.

First, Rootkit Remover - not effective against all rootkits, as it's still being (re-)developed, but should be tried first. Rootkit detection is being moved here from Stinger.

McAfee Rootkit Remover is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove complex rootkits and associated malware. Currently it can detect and remove ZeroAccess and TDSS family of rootkits. McAfee Labs plans to add coverage for more rootkit families in future versions of the tool.

Next, Stinger - it works against most ZeroAccess variants plus a couple of other rootkits.

... not a substitute for full anti-virus protection, but a specialized tool to assist administrators and users when dealing with infected system. Stinger utilizes next-generation scan technology, including rootkit scanning, and scan performance optimizations. It detects and removes threats identified under the "Threat List" option under Advanced menu options

And then GetSusp - in case this is not a rootkit but is hiding in some obscure directory somewhere.

... intended for users who suspect undetected malware on their computer

There's a How To Use guidance document for each of those which you need to read before you run the program.

• 5. Re: Virus Blocking All Downloads
                  Peter M

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

• 6. Re: Virus Blocking All Downloads

Well, I ran all three programs. Only GetSusp found two suspicious files but they were from a known program I have installed to help find the laptop if it's lost/stolen.

I backed up the critical data to a flash drive so as not to infect my portable Hard Drive and went ahead and wiped the drive and reinstalled Windows. So far so good. I'll have to scan the flash drive thoroughly to make sure the virsu wasn't put on it. I guess I'll know soon enough.

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Virus Blocking All Downloads

Well, the system is rebuilt. I have all the Windows updates installed and McAfee installed gain. Everything working well. Turns out one of the kids downloaded a video from the Internet so I'm guessing it was hidden in a video codec. Also, a lesson learned for me, don't rely solely on Windows defender. Maybe not a bad program but it didn't protect the PC in the case. Thanks for all the help!

• 8. Re: Virus Blocking All Downloads
                        Peter M

Glad you are OK now.