4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2013 5:43 PM by Hayton

McAfee XP on Fusion: your un-installer hung, now can't access Internet

A year ago I installed whatever version of McAfee came with VMware Fusion 5. Recently the subscription expired.

Tired of the relentless notifications, I decided to uninstall the McAfee stuff, using – silly me – the XP Control Panel's Add & Remove Programs panel. I selected and removed both McAfee products. One of the products, the name of which I don't recall, disappeared altogether. The other, McAfee Antivirus Plus still shows o n the control panel. There is also a notification dialog:

"Removal Status… Please wait while we remove the McAfee programs from your PC… Status: Removing McAfee AntiVirus PlusIn progress. Site Advisor: [blank]." 

That dialogue has been stuck at about 1/4 complete for a couple of hours. Now I can no longer access the Internet from the Windows side of my Mac.

I poked around the  Community a bit and found http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100686, which suggests that I log on, via a Family Protection Icon that I don't see anywhere, using credentials that I don't believe I ever received, to logon and get in Uninstall Code, to enter which I've never seen any field. No joy.

Also, I've done  Network Diagnostics for Windows XP, but, after 20  minutes of "Windows is checking conductivity…  it served up, ""Windows cannot troubleshoot your network connection because an error has occurred. Please try again." I clicked the diagnostic log button and got a lengthy load of gibberish that I'll paste in below, fwiw.  I'm writing this on the Mac side, so, if you are reading it, my plan is connected to the outside world.

My best guess is that there must have been in an un-install feature or program someplace that I should have used instead of doing it the regular way. Maybe I didn't have that because McAfee came bundled with Fusion and was install automatically. Anyhow, I screwed up and tried to uninstall it the normal way, and now I'm in a bind.

I want to

1) get reconnected to the Internet,

2) get rid of the expired McAfee,

3) decide what to get for virus protection

Can you help me?

THANKS

...Ed

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .    below is the probably-useless to diagnostic log from "Network Diagnostics for Windows XP" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Last diagnostic run time: 09/13/13 18:13:56

IP Configuration Diagnostic

Invalid IP address

error

Could not locate the specified NIC from iphlpapi

error

info

Could not retrieve the current IP address

action

Automated repair: Renew IP address

error

error

error

Could not retrieve IP information for specified NIC

error

info

Could not retrieve the current IP address

action

Automated repair: Reset network connection

action

Disabling the network adapter

error

Failed with error 0x800705B4: This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

Wireless Diagnostic

Wireless - Service disabled

Wireless - User SSID

Wireless - First time setup

Wireless - Radio off

Wireless - Out of range

Wireless - Hardware issue

Wireless - Novice user

Wireless - Ad-hoc network

Wireless - Less preferred

Wireless - 802.1x enabled

Wireless - Configuration mismatch

Wireless - Low SNR

WinSock Diagnostic

WinSock status

info

All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.

info

The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.

info

Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.

info

Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.

info

Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.

info

Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.

info

Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

Network Adapter Diagnostic

Network location detection

info

Using home Internet connection

Network adapter identification

info

Network connection: Name=Bluetooth Network Connection, Device=Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network), MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=BLUETOOTH

info

Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN

info

Ethernet connection selected

Network adapter status

info

Network connection status: Connected

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn

HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn

HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn

FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn

HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn

FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

warn

HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved

error

Could not make an HTTP connection.

error

Could not make an HTTPS connection.

error

Could not make an FTP connection.

• 1. Re: McAfee XP on Fusion: your un-installer hung, now can't access Internet
          Hayton

I see this problem has been around for a long time. There are questions in many places, some of the posters provide diagnostic logs showing the same symptoms that you see.

Two threads will do as an example (there's some good advice in these) -

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-networking/tcpip-con nection-problem-no-connection-found-after/8c830d2c-ad35-44f5-b7c4-22f9b2e778a8

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/259647/error-code-12007/

In both of these the suggestion is to enter the following command in a DOS window (Start->Run->cmd) :

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

"That will use NetShell to reset TCP/IP".

Then enter ipconfig /renew

and then ipconfig /all  - examine the output and see what it says.

Doing a reset and renew is not guaranteed to get things working, but it's a necessary first step.

See if any of the other suggestions offered in those threads work for you.

• 2. Re: McAfee XP on Fusion: your un-installer hung, now can't access Internet

Thanks Hayton,

I did this in the Command window:    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

On the first try, the "C:\Docu... >" prompt never returned. The command window wouldn't let me close it, no imput seemed to make a dent in it. I waited five minutes, then I restarted the system. It still can't connect to the 'net, but I didn't expect it to.

After the resteart, netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt    ... evidently worked, creating the new resetlog.txt.

[retested, no net connection]

ipconfig /renew

Results: 

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has its media disconnected.

ipconfig /all

Results:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ed-6eadc4cecd56

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : B8-F6-B1-1A-15-2A

Restarted windows. 

I read the posts you mentioned. I wish I had your (and their) level of knowledge and skill; that's all way over my head, and I'm feeling pretty concerned. Would you please let me know what you believe I should do next?

THANKS 

...Ed

• 3. Re: McAfee XP on Fusion: your un-installer hung, now can't access Internet
              Peter M

Maybe I missed something but have you tried running the MCPR cleanup tool to remove all remnants of McAfee consumer software?   Of course first one should try the normal Control Panel uninstall method.  You may need to do this all after a reboot, and in any case will have to reboot afterwards too.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/09/13 8:20:46 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: McAfee XP on Fusion: your un-installer hung, now can't access Internet
                Hayton

There is a log created by the NetShell reset at C:\resetlog.txt - what does it say?

The basic problem is that something has unplugged you from the router.

Wireless - Service disabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

See if the Wireless service has been turned off -

Start-->Run-->services.msc gives you a list of all services and their current state.

Look for "Wireless Zero Configuration". Double-click on it  and you'll see something like this.

services - wireless.JPG

I'm not using a wireless connection, btw. For you, Startup Type should probably be Automatic and Service Status should be Started.

Then go into Control Panel and double-click on the Network Connections icon. What you see will be dependent on what you've got. Double-click on the appropriate entry in the list to get details of your connection status. You can view Properties in the General tab and see connection details in the Support tab.  There may an option to repair the connection.

The problem is that you're using a VPN, and as one of the posters in the Microsoft thread pointed out that complicates things.