7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2013 11:03 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

Adware: Win32/Addlyrics

I noticed that some of the monitorers here are the same as in Firewalls.  I been posting about problems with my McAfee Personal Firewall.  I now believe the problem may be Addlyrics.  While neither full McAfee scans nor SuperAntiSkyware showed a problem,  Microsoft Safety Scanner reported "Adware:Win32 / Addlyrics".    In an attempt remove, the Microsoft reported "Partially Removed"  I followed the procedure to manually remove ... did not find anything more. 

Anyone had experince with Addlyrics and a good removal too?

I think I must have gotten the virus when I showed my wife an U-Tube video ... it had the lyrics with it.

Thanks for the assistance.

• 1. Re: Adware: Win32/Addlyrics

The Microsoft removal guide for this is here:  http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Adw are:Win32/AddLyrics - warning, it takes ages to load.  I would try runnig Stinger and perhaps Malwarebytes Free and AdwCleaner, all linked in the last link in my signature below.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/09/13 9:12:46 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: Adware: Win32/Addlyrics

Thanks ... believe it is gone!   Tech support emailed me yesterday evening to set up another session ... surprised that theyt did so.  When the last tech did a CHKDSK in read only mode, I through they were just blowing me off because there was no solution to the problem. (MSFT says the CHKDSK in read only mode is "prone to falsely reporting errors." )

• 3. Re: Adware: Win32/Addlyrics

That sounds good.  I'm not sure why anyone would run chkdsk in read only mode unless they just want to see if anything is amiss.  I've always done a full chkdsk /r which detects and repairs disk-read errors.  I have to do it quite often here as  I multi-boot and that seems to upset some aspects of Windows on occasion.  But that's neither here nor there, glad to appear to be OK now.

• 4. Re: Adware: Win32/Addlyrics

Hi Ex_Brit,

Any news on fixing the Personal Firewall problem on XP operating system?  Support never got back with me, I suspect there is no solution and instead of say so, they want to blame my file system because a prompt CHKDSK returns file errors.  Even MSFT says that a  prompt CHKDSK "might report spurious errors" and that a  " CHKDSK /F" has to be run. 

Anyway, my old computer has never run better     I run a complete McAfee scan every other night and alternate with complete scans by  Malwarebytes, SuperAnitSpyware and MSFT Safety Scanner.  I have run numerous CHKDSK / F and Defrag.  My Windows Firewall is operational and so is the hard firewall in router. Periodically run  MVT to see if Firewall and Online Backup problems are fixed ...  eliminated unwanted programs ... this old computer is humming, but will still be replaced because of XP.

Thankyou for assistance ...

• 5. Re: Adware: Win32/Addlyrics

I haven't experienced the problems myself so best to contact Technical Support and ask them for a progress report on your previous ticket.

I prefer chkdsk /r as it infers /f but also repairs any problems.

• 6. Re: Adware: Win32/Addlyrics

Thanks ... I had them reversed ... I thought "/F" included "/R" .... however, I get the same answer.

Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.

Cleaning up 17 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.

Cleaning up 17 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.

Cleaning up 17 unused security descriptors.

• 7. Re: Adware: Win32/Addlyrics

Sounds good.