Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
431 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2013 4:05 PM by vimalnavis RSS
jbuschman Newcomer 7 posts since
Nov 29, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 9, 2013 2:08 PM

Monitor Files moving from USB to host computer

Is there a way to monitor files being copied from a USB device to a host DLP computer?  I saw this question posted before with no answer. 

I'd like to see what's moving into the environment before I make decisions on policies to block.  I think it can be done with File Application Protection rules, but can't think my way through a policy.  Any help would be appreciated.

• pboedges Apprentice 71 posts since
    Jan 20, 2009
    1. Sep 11, 2013 10:36 AM (in response to jbuschman)
    Re: Monitor Files moving from USB to host computer

Unfortunately this is a current limitation of the McAfee HDLP application.  Its only capable of monitoring data being moved to USB devices.  I have hope this will be addressed in a future release.

• vimalnavis McAfee SME 204 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    2. Sep 12, 2013 4:05 PM (in response to jbuschman)
    Re: Monitor Files moving from USB to host computer

You cannot report on files copied from USB to computer.You can use location based tagging rule to tags files copied from removable storage and CD/DVD devices to the computer. You may use this tag on protection rules to enforce block/monitor etc. reactions.

This will at least report on files that the user copied from the USB and tried to send out.

DLP is Data Loss/Leak Prevention. Data coming to your computer is not considered Data Loss/Leak.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points