2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 12:39 PM by ycon1x

Installations of Mcafee and CRSS.exe

ycon1x

Recently I had a bout with a Malware called FBI Virus Pop up and after finally getting control of my computer, I decided to renew my McAfee subscription. However, since Friday I have been trying to install the New McAfee Antivirus unto my computer. I keep getting a pop-up that McAfee Cannot be installed. As seen in the attached Screen Shot.

Today, I called 1-877-778-8212 and spoke to a technecian. After a few minutes I was advised to share my screen using Islonline.net, I was told that I need to get my CSRSS.exe file repaired by Microsoft for $99.99. I just find it strange that I have to do this to install an anti-virus. After all, it was in the installation process the limited protections that was there was un-installed.

Now there are a few websites that discuss the importance of the CSRSS.EXE file and that I never need to have it removed. While the Technician showed me a site that said that CSRSS.exe is a virus by a Hacker and it is stealing my iinformation. I am totally confused what to do but I needed to have the Protection Installed.

Here are my questions.

1. How can I verify the CSRSS.exe file is indeed hacked?

2. HOw certain can I be that if I go ahead and pay the Microsoft Contractors to repair this, I will not end up with another Malware on my system?

3. How can I install the McAfee on a Windows 7 Computer?

I just needed some clarifications on What prevents the Installations of the New McAfee Anti-Virus unto my PC and what is the function of the CSRSS.exe.

Nigel Williamson

• 1. Re: Installations of Mcafee and CRSS.exe
          Hayton

If you can't install McAfee, are you running without any kind of protection? If so, not good. Before you do anything else, download and run an antivirus scanner. Since you allegedly have a problem with a Windows system file, better make that Microsoft's Safety Scanner.

If that doesn't report a problem, you need to check that system files aren't corrupted. From the Start menu select Run, type cmd, and in the command window type sfc/scannow. Any changed files will be replaced by original versions.

Then run Malwarebytes Free version as a double-check.

Now, your questions.

1. Why can't you install McAfee?

Not sure. Ex_Brit or Peacekeeper might have some suggestions about that. It's possible there's a problem with old files left over from a previous installation, so try running MCPR to get rid of them, if they exist.

2. What is csrss.exe?

It's a Windows file, and normally you shouldn't touch it. Sometimes malware will replace it or modify it, and then you have to get the original file (for Windows 7 in your case) from a trusted location - either in one of the backup places on your system or from Microsoft and nowhere else.  Normally you would not be expected to pay for this. If in doubt contact Microsoft direct or check for advice in one of the Microsoft forums.

For csrss, see : http://www.processlibrary.com/en/directory/files/csrss/26031/

"What is csrss" (note : this is in a Vista forum)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/what-is- csrssexehow-do-i-know-if-this-is-a-trojan/e354f1a9-e431-4d69-b690-803c6474a4e3

"csrss - virus or malware?"

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_scanning/csrssexe/2 6bba20c-2691-4d42-bec4-637436c53c4f

Today, I called 1-877-778-8212 and spoke to a technecian

Let's be clear about this, that was not McAfee you called. That number is for an outfit in Texas - "ITechWizz Technical Support". Whatever information they gave you about your system may or may not be correct, I can't say. But the Microsoft website makes it very clear that before you go to paid support you should try the self-help options that are available, especially by running the Safety Scanner.

If you are concerned about spyware or a virus on your computer, you must run our Microsoft Safety Scanner before an agent will be able to assist you

See their Contact Support page for more details, and the "How and when to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support" page. Paying for Microsoft to fix a problem is a last resort, and you can often get technical help from Microsoft for free.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Installations of Mcafee and CRSS.exe
            ycon1x

Hey I have had a difficult month trying to intall this McAfee. I have tried following the steps you gave and I have found some work but when I get to setting up the McAfee I am not getting through.

I even tried to do the cmd and its requiring me to be the administrator and I am the only one with a login and permission on my laptop. I am totally lost in what I should do.

Please tell me how to submit my a case study. I desperately needed that.

Nigel