5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2014 11:42 AM by Peter M

Whe doesn't McAfee have any source info on Conduit & Conduit.com, a horrible browser hijacker???

My spouse attempted to download a calendar program & ended up with all our browsers being hijacked by Conduit ... researched it and discovered some call it a virus & others Malware ... removal sites say it is very extensive & downloads lots of files/data & adds several registry changes.  I looked/searched McAfee's site on info with no results.  Looks like lots of people have run into this.  I ran McAfee virus scan immediately & NO exceptions were found.  I turned off my computer for a few days because of other work & had decided I would have to reformat Hard Drive & reinstall XP, software from disks.  I had to wait a few days due to the time demands of reinstallation and turned on my computer today to start the task.  Both my IE browser & my Chrome browser opened up normally.  Previouisly, it was totally changed with all Conduit data/search displayed.  Wondering what McAfee knows about this and whether my computer is actually safe considering what I read about Conduit.  Has anyone else run into this and have any experience with it?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Whe doesn't McAfee have any source info on Conduit & Conduit.com, a horrible browser hijacker???
          Hayton

You've got the Conduit Community Toolbar from the sound of it. It's not a virus, it's not even malware. Conduit are a legitimate company and this toolbar is (apparently) quite acceptable to the people who want it installed.

Trouble is it comes bundled with downloaded programs and if you're not eagle-eyed you end up with something you don't want. Conduit aren't alone in doing this. Even (ahem) McAfee tries to slip Security Scan Plus onto your system with downloads of some Adobe products.

The Community Toolbar is the subject of a thousand complaints all over the web. Trouble is, McAfee won't stop it being installed because you've specifically allowed it as part of a bundle, and once it's on the system it is, as far as an anti-virus program is concerned, just a minor nuisance. So you need to look for a program designed to get rid of adware. There are several, but the two most often mentioned in posts elsewhere are AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes. Run both of those and it should be gone. Trying to strip it out of each browser manually isn't guaranteed, so some say, to get rid of it. You could try uninstalling it if it's in the list of installed programs known to Windows.

According to Alexa,

conduit.com is one of the top 100 sites in the world and is in the Toolbars category

According to Sucuri and quttera their website is stuffed with hidden iframes placing calls to Googletagmanager. Nothing wrong with the destination, it's just a marketing feature ("lets you add or update your website tags") but ... hidden iframes are a no-no. In official parlance, they are strongly deprecated. So Conduit are an aggressive marketing company, and you shouldn't expect them to make it easy to uninstall their product.

Do let us know if the programs recommended above work, and if they do I'll post the tip to WOT and SiteAdvisor.

User reviews on Wot and SiteAdvisor are mostly anti-Conduit -

https://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/conduit.com

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/conduit.com

• 2. Re: Whe doesn't McAfee have any source info on Conduit & Conduit.com, a horrible browser hijacker???
            Paco123

Had the same problem. It's unfortunate that security companies don't consider this a virus when it can be acquired through a simple request for other useful tools.

When it is unwanted, not agreed upon and difficult to remove how can it be anything other than a virus.!? Not the utility itself but the way it is acquired.

Selectively removed any reference to Search.Conduit.Com through a search of the programs directories which seems to have fixed the unwanted hack and hijack of the browser. Just search for what is underlined. There are programs available for it's removal but am having difficulty verifying that the progams may not be as unwanted as the Virus.

There is no reference to this on McAfee. I can understand as McAfee and other such programs install utilities on computers themselves without fully identifying what they are doing.

At the least McAfee could and should identify such as this and make comments and recommendations that may be more to the liking an trust of McAfee users.

Considering the date of the original complaint this doesn't seem to have been that devastating.

Good Luck!

• 3. Re: Whe doesn't McAfee have any source info on Conduit & Conduit.com, a horrible browser hijacker???
              Peter M

It isn't a virus as already explained, it's a legitimate toolbar. Always keep your eyes wide open when downloading and/or updating anything, just in case it offers something extra which you can then refuse.   

If you use browser security add-ons such as SiteAdvisor and/or WoT for instance, often they will warn you when you are about to download something doubtful.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/01/14 7:32:12 EST AM
              • 4. Re: Whe doesn't McAfee have any source info on Conduit & Conduit.com, a horrible browser hijacker???
                sbellouti

How can it be considered legitimate when it installs without our permission and there is no way to uninstall it...

• 5. Re: Whe doesn't McAfee have any source info on Conduit & Conduit.com, a horrible browser hijacker???
                  Peter M

You probably overlooked the option to uncheck it in some installer or updater and if you file share or use Bittorrents a lot then it's almost inevitable that you'll end up with aomething extra and unwanted.   Notice I said if, so wasn't assuming you do that.

Some people actually like it  or aren't bothered by it I'm sure....but not me.