1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2013 7:14 PM by Hayton

McAfee Doesn't Work - Major Functions Disabled

Hi there,

My McAfee software doesn't work properly - all major functions have been disabled by a virus. It left my laptop completely vulnerable to various threats.

The McAfee application has been corrupted but tries to hide it - the McAfee home page informs that everything is fine but when you click on individual functions, you discover that they are all off. My antispam and real time scanning were all off. When I tried to do a manual scan, an error message appeared (happens each time and makes it impossible to run the scan). I tried to change the scheduled scan but the virus keeps postponing it (BTW, the default scans are scheduled at 4am on Tuesdays but only when you laptop/PC is on - effectively they do not happen unless you are up at 4am each Tuesday). 

IF YOU READ IT PLEASE CHECK ALL MCAFEE FUNCTIONS (REAL TIME SCANNING, ANTI SPAM, ETC) INDIVIDUALLY AS YOU MAY HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM (and you may be unaware of it).

If you wonder if I paid, yes I did: my subsrription expires in March 2016. So I thought I will be protected - mistake! Now you say: contact the technical support - I did. Did they help? Not at all - they just made me furious by claiming that my browser is not working properly and that is why they need to charge me extra to fix it (BTW - my browser works perfectly fine for now). I asked the Technical Service "Advisor" (Shilpa) to try the browser on a trusted application to prove it's fine and the problem is the McAfee software. As she was completely uselass, so I asked to speak to her manager. She refused to connect me to her manager or even give me her surname (claiming she doesn't have one, which upset me even more)...

IF YOU KNOW HOW TO HELP, PLEASE REPLY TO MY POST. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Gosia Miler

on 07/09/13 7:04:18 EDT AM
        • 1. Re: McAfee Doesn't Work - Major Functions Disabled
          Peter M

Moved this to Malware Discussions as a better spot for support.

If you have a virus or other malware Techical Support can't help, unless of course you are willing to pay them to remove the infection.  All antivirus makers have a paid virus removal service.  However there are usually free alternatives.

Check the last link in my signature below and try the first suggestion - System Restore, that can be invoked in Safe Mode if necessary.    That often is an easy way of defeating an infection.   If successful temporarily disable System Restore afterwards to delete the infected restore point.

Then try running Stinger and Malwarebytes Free (& possibly AdwCleaner and Junk Removal Tool too).   Note: to keep Malwarebytes free of charge do NOT accept the free trial.

Lastly, what is your operating system and service pack (if applicable)?  You can check that by right-clicking Computer on your desktop or in your Start Menu and selecting Properties.

I also need to know what version of Internet Explorer is installed, regardless of whether or not you use it.   Open it and go to Help/About and post that information.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/09/13 7:18:32 EDT AM
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: McAfee Doesn't Work - Major Functions Disabled
            Peter M

Another note:  if you've been running any kind of Registry Cleaner or Optimizer, stop and see if it has a restore button.  This could also be the result of that.

• 3. Re: McAfee Doesn't Work - Major Functions Disabled
              Hayton

gosiamiler wrote:

My McAfee software doesn't work properly - all major functions have been disabled by a virus. It left my laptop completely vulnerable to various threats.

How do you know the laptop has a virus? You never said of there were warning messages, or if McAfee being disabled was the only sign. I agree, if a virus or other malware has got onto your laptop the first thing it's going to do is disable all the anti-virus programs it can find.

So you can'r run a scan but you need to run a scan to check for the virus. The answer, I suppose, is to run a free scan from somewhere else as a double-check and see if that gets blocked too. My own preference in a case like this would be the Microsoft Safety Scanner and then Malwarebytes. Try those and see what they say. If they find nothing, it's probably a corrupted McAfee installation which can be fixed by stripping it out and re-install ing.

• 4. Re: McAfee Doesn't Work - Major Functions Disabled

Thanks a lot. I have tried system restore last night but it did not solve the problem. I have also tried to download new antivirus software (including Malwarebytes, Avast and McAfee TechCheck) but they were all blocked by the virus (either display error messages or don't respond).

As I could not stand loosing control over my laptop I'm running the PC reset and hope that everything will be wiped out. The reset is now halfway after 6 hours and I keep my fingers crossed for the best.

BTW I'm on Windows 8 with the latest Explorer (that will now have to be reinstalled along other apps).

• 5. Re: McAfee Doesn't Work - Major Functions Disabled
                  Peter M

OK, good luck with the reset.   If you need any help with that read here (& you can ask questions there too):  http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2302-reset-windows-8-a.html

• 6. Re: McAfee Doesn't Work - Major Functions Disabled

Well, it must be a virus if you loose the control over your laptop and antivirus software.

I have had a problem with the Delta Search (that I removed manually) and I found a suspicious file (that I deleted) but I guess it was not enough. I also found multiple McAfee folders in Programme Files and Programme Files x86 (sometimes spelt in upper and sometimes in lower case). It makes me think that a false add-on was installed that was controlling McAfee.

Anyway I'm doing a laptop reset and hope that everything will be wiped out.

Wish me luck!

PS I hope that the hackers that launched it roast in hell for a very long time....

• 7. Re: McAfee Doesn't Work - Major Functions Disabled
                      Peter M

Couldn't agree more with your PS.     Good luck ;-)

• 8. Re: McAfee Doesn't Work - Major Functions Disabled
                        Peacekeeper

1 thing to remember is if malware stops you installing malwarebytes etc you can do the following.

Download the setup file for malwarebytes and rename it do this on another PC and put the file on an usb stick.

Run the file and when it says where do you want to install it rename the folder to ABC or similiar.

When installed rename the main exe file for malwarebytes then run it.

That should trick the malware into allowing the program to run.

• 9. Re: McAfee Doesn't Work - Major Functions Disabled
                          Peter M

Or use their Chameleon method that's posted in the last link in my signature below under Free 3rd Party Tools.

1 2 Previous Next