Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
5049 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2013 12:28 PM by Hayton RSS 1 2 Previous Next
remian8985 Newcomer 5 posts since
Aug 29, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 7, 2013 12:19 AM

Annoying pop-ups from McAfee

With parental control on, I get countless streams of pop-ups from McAfee, notifying me about every single blocked content in a website. Example:

Ultimate annoyance.PNG

http://postimg.org/image/pfpqmqttj/

This is super annoying. McAfee is supposed to block annoying pop-ups and now McAfee itself spams me popups. Counting 83 days till my subscription expires, because I'm not keeping this crap if they don't fix it.

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,529 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    1. Sep 7, 2013 6:01 AM (in response to remian8985)
    Re: Annoying pop-ups from McAfee

From the above picture it appears you are using a child account.

Are you using a parent (Administrator) or child's account?   If the latter then ask your parent to make adjustments.  If you are on a parent account which should be an Administrator-level one, you shouldn't be restricted.     Technical Support can help, it's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Sorry I don't use Parental Controls and I doubt there'll be any technicians around here on a weekend to help.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/09/13 7:01:46 EDT AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,590 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    2. Sep 7, 2013 8:18 AM (in response to remian8985)

So change the settings. If you have access to them, that is. If you don't, ask whoever does have access to put the website in the allowed list.

McAfee has online help for this sort of thing, with links from within the Security Center.

Before you can protect your children, you must create an administrator. The administrator is responsible for choosing protection settings for each child in the household, and for creating a password. To create an administrator password, you must log in to Windows using an Administrator or Limited user account. Protection settings let you decide what your child can see and do online, and the password ensures that only you can make changes to those settings. To change a setting, you must first enter the administrator password. After you protect a child with Parental Controls, you can change or remove the user's protection settings at any time.

Parental Controls whitelist.JPG

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,339 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    4. Sep 8, 2013 12:24 AM (in response to remian8985)

We mods do not use FP so mostly we suggest you call support to see if they can assist. Does the console have an option to disable the popup?

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100694

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 8/09/13 3:24:25 PM

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,590 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    5. Sep 7, 2013 5:39 PM (in response to remian8985)

We mods do not use FP

Actually Peacekeeper is wrong about that. I enabled Family Protection some while back just so I could see what the problems were with using it. My "child" accounts are in fact all the limited-privilege user accounts, plus the default system-owned ones (do you really want a rogue ASP.Net account connecting to some website somewhere?). I leave the main Admin account unprotected by FP but protect the user accounts, on the grounds that I have to investigate websites to answer SiteAdvisor questions and some of those sites are sometimes slightly iffy. I don't want FP complaining about them as well as SA.

I appreciate that your system is configured differently, although it's not clear from what you said how many accounts you actually have.

I have this implemented on the only user account in my computer which has adminstrator previleges.

I intend to keep only one user account and I intend to keep the restrictions for multiple users who use this.

Even if I created another account for the target users ...

I take that as meaning one account, with Administrator privileges, for use by more than one person.  Well, you can't have two different levels of protection applied to an account. You either completely block some sites or categories of site, or you allow them for anyone using the account.

I don't see why FP would be kicking up about Facebook in particular. If you whitelist that site, or put Social Networking in the Allowed section the pop-ups should stop.

Edit - I edited the post because it read as if I used the full-privilege Admin account to do all my website browsing. Not so. If you get infected in an Admin account, say goodbye to your system. In a limited-privilege account you get damage but not disaster.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 07/09/13 23:39:23 IST

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,339 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    6. Sep 8, 2013 12:26 AM (in response to Hayton)

Whoops sorry matey.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,529 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    8. Sep 8, 2013 4:08 PM (in response to remian8985)

What setting is the firewall?  Under Traffic Control if you anything other than Smart Access, you will get warnings for just about everything.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)