2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 3:26 PM by secured2k

AntiVirus Plus with Windows 7 - 64-bit

johnspeikers

I keep getting error: 0xC0000188.  I think it means that McAfee's protection cuts out while I browse on-line.  This error crops up Windows Event Viewer quite regularly.  I think McAfee should either stop this error or explain what it means.  As it is, I suspect the worst.

Thanks in advance for any who respond.

• 1. Re: AntiVirus Plus with Windows 7 - 64-bit
          Peter M

"The session was terminated due to the following error: 0xC0000188".

Occasional service stops are fairly normal and can be caused by a number of things.  If the software is behaving normally in other respects I wouldn't worry too much.

Possible corruption of the software could cause this.   Run the "Virttual Technician" to see if it helps:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If that doesn't help uninstall via Control Panel, then run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

Meanwhile make sure Windows 7 is totally up to date, i.e. SP1 and tha Internet Explorer is v10, even if you don't use it, McAfee does.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/08/13 8:06:35 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: AntiVirus Plus with Windows 7 - 64-bit
            secured2k

C0000188 means the status - log file is full. Microsoft says it shouldn't impact the computer.

The log file refers to an Event Trace Log File (.etl - >C:\ProgramData\McAfee\MCLOGS\ETW\mclogs.etl)

This event log could include information about faults or general information about McAfee's logging.

The error can be ignored unless more information is needed to capture debugging information about McAfee's programs.