4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 6:48 AM by pierce

Decryption time?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help, I am testing some of our encrypted laptops, I am attempting to decrypt one for the first time using a EETech Boot Disk, it's saying it will take 4465 minutes to decrypt, is that a normal length of time for a decrypt? I was expecting maybe 24 hours but not 3 days, seems a bit excessive. Would it be quicker implementing the decrypt via ePO? (i.e. putting the laptop in a seperate OU with the encryption policy disabled).

Regards,
      Ross

• 1. Re: Decryption time?
          pierce

Yup, affraid so. Some decrypt around 24 hours, some have taken longer than 3 days!

• 2. Re: Decryption time?

Thanks for the reply pierce, as long as that's normal I can live with it, just wanted to check if this was an excessive amount of time incase we are doing something wrong.

• 3. Re: Decryption time?

Sorry just thought of something else, instead of decrypting could we just re-image? We use SCCM to image our laptops, would this still be possible to do with it still encrypted? We only have one primary partition on our laptop set-ups which are being encrypted.

• 4. Re: Decryption time?
                pierce

Of course, you only use the CD based decryption when there is something on the drive and encryption/OS is broken.

If you need to decrypt a working machine there is a policy you can apply that will do it as quickly as it encrypted.

For a machine to be rebuilt our deployment tool just wipes the harddrive and away it goes. as far as its concerned its an unformated drived (because of the encryption)