7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2013 3:14 PM by Peter M

Help with my McAfee

I keep trying to run a scan and I continually get the same message:

"AN ERROR HAS OCCURED

An unexpected problem occured during your scan.

Please click OK to go back to the Home page, and then try running your scan again."

I've tried to run it again numerous times.  I've even shut down my computer and restarted it.  I tried to do a technician talk, but the program simply downloads about twenty times and then never opens.  I've about had it with McAfee.  I simply want it to work, as I've paid for it.  Please help!!!!

• 1. Re: Help with my McAfee
          Peter M

More information would help, your operating system and service pack, if applicable & whether or not it is up to date, including IE even if you don't use it, whether or not you've had any other issues, latetly such as malware and lastly if you've recently run any registry cleaners.

Try running the Virtual Technician and see if it finds and fixes any errors:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

It may also help to run a chkdsk to check for hard drive read errors, but that varies between operating systems so I need to know that information first.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/08/13 3:40:01 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: Help with my McAfee

I have Windows 7, as for the service pack, I'm not even sure how I would know that.  When I click on the About in the Security Center, I see the following information:  Version: 11.6 Last Update: 5/15/2013.  It ran a scan about a month ago, but hasn't done so since.

I've tried to run the Virtual Technician, but it downloads and never runs.  It says multiple instances are trying to run, which is untrue.  I've looked and nothing is running.

Hope this helps!

• 3. Re: Help with my McAfee
              Peter M

You can check the service pack info by right-clicking 'Computer' either on your desktop or in the Start Menu and selecting Properties.

Also check the version of Internet Explorer that's installed by opening it and clicking Help/About.  (Even if you don't use it)

Go to Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program and look for McAfee Virtual Technician - if installed open it from the Start Menu. and use that..   if not listed uninstall it and then try the download again.

• 4. Re: Help with my McAfee

Internet Explorer is version 10.0.8 .

As for Virtual Technician, I need to shut down my computer and restart it because it needs to be uninstalled.  I'll do that and reinstall it.

I ran Virtual Technician and this is the message I received:

"McAfee Virtual Technician cannot check your computer.

Cannot find McAfee products on your system.  Click here to find a list of supported products."

I don't understand why it says there are none.  The one screen says its working, but just can't run a scan.

Message was edited by: yankeesrj12 on 8/19/13 3:03:58 PM CDT
                • 5. Re: Help with my McAfee
                  Peter M

Ok good luck.

• 6. Re: Help with my McAfee

I ran Virtual Technician and this is the message I received:

"McAfee Virtual Technician cannot check your computer.

Cannot find McAfee products on your system.  Click here to find a list of supported products."

I don't understand why it says there are none.  The one screen says its working, but just can't run a scan.

• 7. Re: Help with my McAfee
                      Peter M

It sometimes says that if the McAfee is courtesy of a 3rd party like your ISP or your computer maker for example.  They alter the software enough to fool the application.

In your case the best thing to do would probably be uninstall everything via Control Panel.

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Reinstall from your online account.