1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 7, 2008 1:56 AM by Jubo RSS

Buffer Overflow

i cant open windows internet explorer. mcafee says i have a buffer overflow? (i guess someone has attacked me?) i know nothing about buffer overflow attacks or how to use a patch to fix it. can anyone help a dummy dumb dumb like me happy

ive tried to learn how to fix it without any tutoring but... megh!#%&*@! POOP!
        • 1. RE: Buffer Overflow
          Not much information you give us here... Maybe you can post some more details?

If you have an icon near the PC clock like:

• , then launch the Security Center:

Click on the "View Details" link and in the next window you see all the McAfee programs installed. Clicking on each of them will give you the exact version numbers. Inlude the version # of the VirusScan Scan Engine and DAT file.
          Have you tried to do an online scan as in here to see if the computer is free of any virus/malware?

What version of Windows do you have installed?

• Windows XP: Go to Start > right click My Computer > click on Properties and on the General tab you'll find all the information, incl. any installed Service Packs.
          • Windows Vista: Open Welcome Center by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Welcome Center.
          • Check if your version of Windows is up-to-date at: Windows Update.

What was the result of the online scan?