9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2013 2:03 AM by Liyema

Unable to install McAfee Agent 4.8

Liyema

Hi All,

I am having major issues installing McAfee Agent 4.8 on a Windows 2003 SP2 server.

The server is VSE 8.7 Patch 4, and I have tried disabling Access Protection think it could be blocking the install but the issues will persists.

I have even went to the extent of removing all McAfee products from the server and starting with the Agent install first, but the issue won't go away.

I have have also copied the FramePgk file to the WIndows directory and tried doing both a normal and force install from there and still came accross the same issue.

The only error I get is "Fatal error during installation"  and no other info.

Attached are the logs from the mentioned server.

In total I have about 4 servers having the issue and I have everything I could think of, even went to the registry and deleted all McAfee related keys but that has not sorted out the issue.

• 1. Re: Unable to install McAfee Agent 4.8
          Tristan

First off i would uninstall any version of the agent installed and reboot. There's no need to uninstall any other McAfee products jus tthe agent.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/MSI-cleanup-utility-3889c8db

Download the above Microsoft MSI cleanup utility and run it. Search for any instance of the McAfee Agent (AND ONLY THE MCAFEE AGENT) and remove it. Deleting any other entries could seriously mess up your system. Then reboot.

Try and install the agent again.

Make sure your server is fully up-to-date with all patches from Microsoft it's possible that there is a dll version dependency that the Agent needs that is missing .

• 2. Re: Unable to install McAfee Agent 4.8
            Liyema

Thanks Tristan I will try the below suggestion and get back to you.

I will also speak to my Patch Management Team to cconfirm that all the neccessary patches are installed

• 3. Re: Unable to install McAfee Agent 4.8
              Liyema

Hi,

We have tried all the above suggestions and have also confirmed with the Patch Management Team that the servers have ALL the latest Patches installed.

The issue is however still there.

Regards,

• 4. Re: Unable to install McAfee Agent 4.8
                Tristan

A few questions

1. Are you deploying from ePO, installing manually or using 3rd party package deployment software

2. If it's not being deployed from ePO where has the agent installer come from? i.e Has it come from the McAfee website or the FramePkg.exe that generated by ePO

3. Are you installing with an account with administrator privilages?

Message was edited by: Tristan on 16/08/13 09:47:24 IST

Apologies ignore some of the questions as i've just re-read your original message...doh

What about 3

Message was edited by: Tristan on 16/08/13 10:00:46 IST
                • 5. Re: Unable to install McAfee Agent 4.8
                  Liyema

1. I'm running a manual install, RDP's to the box.

2.. This is the Agent that resides on my ePO server, generated by the ePO.

3. Yes, my account has FULL Admin rights to the box, and I am able to use it to install the same Agent on other servers on my network.

• 6. Re: Unable to install McAfee Agent 4.8
                    Peter M

Moved to ePO as a better spot.

on 16/08/13 5:05:49 EDT AM
                    • 7. Re: Unable to install McAfee Agent 4.8
                      JoeBidgood

It looks like there's a pending file operation that requires a reboot - there are several references to this in the msi log (which are horrible things to read through.)

If it hasn't been tried yet, please reboot the server and then try the install again.

HTH -

Joe

Message was edited by: JoeBidgood on 16/08/13 14:48:21 GMT
                      • 8. Re: Unable to install McAfee Agent 4.8
                        Liyema

Hi Joe,

Apologies for the late reply, I had been away.

Thanks for your suggestion, I will speak to my Server Team and try to convince them to reboot one of the problematic servers for testing and get back to you.

Regards,

• 9. Re: Unable to install McAfee Agent 4.8
                          Liyema

Hi Joe,

I've been playing around with the problematic servers and believe I might have found a solution to the issue.

The attached scripts has resolved the Agent issues on the servers that have been giving me problems:

REM 1st Run

REM Script Start - Uninstall EPO Framework

"C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\frminst.EXE" /remove=agent /Silent
                          "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\frminst.EXE" /remove=agent /Silent
                          "C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe" /remove=agent /forceuninstall /Silent
                          "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\frminst.EXE" /remove=agent /Silent
                          "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\frminst.EXE" /remove=agent /forceuninstall /Silent
                          "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe" /remove=agent /Silent
                          "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe" /remove=agent /Silent
                          "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe" /remove=agent /forceuninstall /Silent
                          "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe" /remove=agent /Silent
                          "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe" /remove=agent /Silent
                          "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe" /remove=agent /forceuninstall /Silent
                          "C:\McAfee\Common Framework\frminst.EXE" /remove=agent /Silent
                          "C:\McAfee\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe" /remove=agent /forceuninstall /Silent
                          "C:\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe" /remove=agent /Silent
                          "C:\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe" /remove=agent/forceuninstall /Silent
                          "C:\epoagent\aginst32.exe" /remove=agent /Silent
                          "C:\epoagent\aginst32.exe" /remove=agent /forceuninstall /Silent

REM Uninstall McAfee Rogue Agent

msiexec.exe /x {34C22C5D-30F8-4EF4-97CF-0A8594F42959} /q

REM VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i

msiexec /x {147BCE03-C0F1-4C9F-8157-6A89B6D2D973} REMOVE=ALL REBOOT=R /q

REM VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i

msiexec /x {35C03C04-3F1F-42C2-A989-A757EE691F65} REMOVE=ALL /q

REM VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i

msiexec /x {5DF3D1BB-894E-4DCD-8275-159AC9829B43} REMOVE=ALL /q

REM VirusScan Enterprise 7.0i

msiexec /x {59224777-298D-4E9C-9AEB-4A91BDA01B27} REMOVE=ALL /q

REM McAfee Firewall 8.5

C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\MCAFEE~1\McAfeefire.exe SilentUninstall
                          C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MCAFEE~1\McAfeefire.exe SilentUninstall

REM System Compliance Profiler

C:\Program Files\Network Associates\System Compliance Profiler\PatchScanInstaller.exe /u

REM Site Adviser

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\Current\SITEADV_1500\Install\0409\saeuninstall.exe

REM Uninstall Stinger

REM Uninstall Stinger 1922

"C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfeeAvertStinger1922\stinst32.exe" /remove

REM Uninstall Stinger 1941

"C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfeeAvertStinger1941\stinst32.exe" /remove

REM Uninstall Stinger 2180

"C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfeeAvertStinger2180\stinst32.exe" /remove

REM Uninstall Stinger 2300

"C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfeeAvertStinger2300\stinst32.exe" /remove

REM Uninstall Nimda Scanner

"C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Nimda Scanner\nsinst32.exe" /remove

REM Friendly Stop

net stop mcshield

net stop mctaskmanager

net stop McafeeFramework

net stop "SiteAdvisor Service"

net stop FireSvc

REM taskkill /IM naprdmgr.exe /t /f

taskkill /IM naprdmgr.exe /t /f

REM taskkill /IM FrmInst.exe /t /f

taskkill /IM FrmInst.exe /t /f

REM taskkill /IM udaterUI.exe /t /f

taskkill /IM udaterUI.exe /t /f

REM taskkill /IM Frameworkservice.exe /f /t

taskkill /IM Frameworkservice.exe /f /t

REM taskkill /IM iFrmewrk.exe /t /f

taskkill /IM iFrmewrk.exe /t /f

REM taskkill /IM VsTskMgr.exe /t /f

taskkill /IM VsTskMgr.exe /t /f

REM taskkill /IM shstat.exe /t /f

taskkill /IM shstat.exe /t /f

REM taskkill /IM TBMon.exe /t /f

taskkill /IM TBMon.exe /t /f

REM taskkill /IM FireTray.exe /t /f

taskkill /IM FireTray.exe /t /f

REM taskkill /IM SAServices.exe /t /f

taskkill /IM SAServices.exe /t /f

REM taskkill /IM SiteAdv.exe /t /f

taskkill /IM SiteAdv.exe /t /f

REM taskkill /IM Mctray.exe /t /f

taskkill /IM Mctray.exe /t /f

REM taskkill /msiexec.exe /t /f

taskkill /msiexec.exe /t /f

REM Delete Directories

RMDIR /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\McAfee"
                          RMDIR /S /Q "C:\Program Files\Network Associates"
                          RMDIR /S /Q "C:\Program Files\Mcafee"
                          RMDIR /S /Q "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Common Framework"
                          RMDIR /S /Q "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates"
                          RMDIR /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates"
                          RMDIR /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee"
                          RMDIR /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SiteAdvisor"
                          RMDIR /S /Q "C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor"
                          RMDIR /S /Q "C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisorEnterprise"
                          RMDIR /S /Q "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{35C03C04-3F1F-42C2-A989-A757EE691F65}"
                          RMDIR /S /Q "C:\QUARANTINE"

REM 2nd Run

"C:\Program Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe" /remove=agent /forceuninstall /Silent
                          "C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework\frminst.EXE" /remove=agent /forceuninstall /Silent
                          "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe" /remove=agent /forceuninstall /Silent
                          "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe" /remove=agent /forceuninstall /Silent
                          "C:\Network Associates\Common Framework\FrmInst.exe" /remove=agent/forceuninstall /Silent

REM McAfee Firewall 8.5

C:\Program Files\Network Associates\System Compliance Profiler\PatchScanInstaller.exe /u

REM Site Adviser

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Common Framework\Current\SITEADV_1500\Install\0409\saeuninstall.exe

REM Uninstall Stinger

"C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfeeAvertStinger1922\stinst32.exe" /remove

"C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfeeAvertStinger1941\stinst32.exe" /remove

"C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfeeAvertStinger2180\stinst32.exe" /remove

"C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfeeAvertStinger2300\stinst32.exe" /remove

REM Friendly Stop

net stop mcshield

net stop mctaskmanager

net stop McafeeFramework

net stop FireSvc

REM Delete Directories

RMDIR /S /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates"

REM 3rd Run

REM McAfee Firewall 8.5

REM Site Adviser

REM Uninstall Stinger

REM Friendly Stop

net stop mcshield

net stop mctaskmanager

net stop McafeeFramework

net stop FireSvc

REM Delete Directories

REM Delete Extend.dat email plugin

Cd /d "c:\documents and settings"
                          Del /S /Q extend.dat

REM Start Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

net start RpcSs

REM Complete

Hope this helps other people that experience the issue

Regards,