4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2013 3:14 PM by Peter M

McAfee Total Protection will not run

I use a laptop that runs the 32-bit version of Windows Vista.  Earlier this week it refused to run my McAfee.  I thought I was missing an update, so I updated the OS and the McAfee software, then restarted and got the same errors.  The errors read, "MCAFEE [APPLICATION] IS NOT RUNNING".  I go thru several of these screens and then I have no protection.  I asked McAfee Support for help and got a suggestion to visit Microsoft support.  On the Microsoft support site I found no resources to address my problem.  I tried uninstalling the Total Protectiion and was unsuccessful after several attempts.

Concisely, I am stuck with a security application that is not working and can't be uninstalled and I'm pitifully short on advice and guidance as to what can be done.  Can someone give me a link or site where I can find a solution?

• 1. Re: McAfee Total Protection will not run
          Peter M

First of all I removed the email part of your user name for your own safety and privacy.  You will have to log in again using dch_cpa as your user name to continue.   I also moved this to SecurityCenter as that's what you are having problems with.

First question, you updated Vista....completely?   In other words it is Vista SP2 (right-click Computer on desktop or in Start Menu and select Properties) and even if you don't use it, Internet Explorer is IE9 (open IE and got to Help/About) ?

Second question, did you or do you still have any other security software installed?

Third question, have you had any other problems with other software or malware recently?

Fourth question, have you been running any registry cleaners, if so do they have a restore tab?

Depending on your answers I'll try to come up with things to do that may fix this.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/08/13 1:10:01 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: McAfee Total Protection will not run
            Peter M

One last question, did Support uninstall/ cleanup and reinstall the software?

• 3. Re: McAfee Total Protection will not run

Thank you for the assistance you've given me.  The answers to your questions are below:

First question, you updated Vista....completely? In other words it is Vista SP2 (right-click Computer on desktop or in Start Menu and select Properties) and even if you don't use it, Internet Explorer is IE9 (open IE and got to Help/About) ?

One of the problems I have is that every time I try do something like this, Windows Explorer stops.

Second question, did you or do you still have any other security software installed?

Only the Window security software.

Third question, have you had any other problems with other software or malware recently?

My Bing Desktop does not install correctly and window explorer is unreliable.

Fourth question, have you been running any registry cleaners, if so do they have a restore tab?

I run a registry cleaner every Sunday, including today, and it has never caused problems before.  It doesn't have a RESTORE tab but I can manually resotre to the last point.

One last question, did Support uninstall/ cleanup and reinstall the software?

No.  Every time either support or I tried to uninstall the software or run the Virtual Technician the program stops working and nothing is uninstalled.

• 4. Re: McAfee Total Protection will not run
                Peter M

Do you have a recovery partition or an installation system disk in order to restore the machine to a factory state?   Something is drastically wrong if you can't install/uninstall software in general.   Is System Restore available to you?  If so can you go back to before all this started?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/08/13 4:14:05 EDT PM