9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2013 7:51 AM by shilin

Web Management Console not recognizing laptop, Sync Error, Intel Management Engine Interface not working. (Perfect storm of Mess-ups?)

Ok, I haven't used my laptop for a month, I boot it up, and it tells me that my laptop is locked via the Anti-Theft app.  I had the laptop lock down after 60 days, not 30 days, but beyond that, I log in, using the 25 key code because my password doesn't work for some reason.

I go to the console on my other computer, attempt to pull up my laptop to see what the isssue is, and it seems that the laptop hasn't been connected to the server since 6/6/2013... I go to the icon on my bar, and click on it.  It tells me that the laptop is not under protection. It says that there is a sync error, and that there is an issue with the Intel Management Engine Interface.  That it's not working.

I decide to use the chat app 9:30AM My time I get a Service Number: 1129950110,  So they tell me over the chat that they can't help me, and to call the tech support line, to call 866-622-3911, press 1 then 6, well guess what... wrong place. I call back multiple times, I am calling India... the country.  I am being told that they can't help, to call the number I did, and to press 1 and then 6.

I get in touch with another person who is over in India, with such a thick accent that I can barely understand him... his V's and D's sound the same, he's not talking into the phone, and I can barely hear him.  I am not trying to steriotype but this is getting to a point where I am getting ready to throw my laptop out of the window because this software doesn't work and I am dealing with tech support I can't understand.

After another 30 minutes on the phone he chooses to escilate, because my drivers are working, and are up to date, and he doesn't know where to go from there.   Then he asks for my time zone, I said US EST, he said daylight savings time? I said -5:00 GST.  He then started to tell me that it was in fact Daylight Savings Time, and that if I didn't tell him that, I may get a phone call late in the day, or early in the morning.  I personally don't care as long as I get a phone call back by this time. I go to bed on average at 1:00 AM EST, and wake up at 6:30 AM EST...

So anyways, I get a new phone number, and case number...

I am told I will be getting a call back now between 2PM and 4PM my time.

I hope so, because I am at this time going to bill McAfee my hourly contract rate for dealing with inept phone support, and not getting my issue resolved, for I am sure this is going to be a simple fix, but heck if I know where to start.

McAfee, head your support back to the US for people who live in the US, there is no reason, or justification for this type of support.  I am trying to find a reason to keep your product, but for now, there really is no reason, and I can't honestly justify the support I have been given.

I am a network admin, a computer tech, and an owner of a fledgling gaming company.  I spend $30k a year on new tech, I own two laptops that equal $8,000 I have three computers that have the latest and greatest hardware in it at a lump sum of over 15k... the company I am starting will have computers that will be upgraded yearly to keep the people who use them happy... I am shucking out over 200k of my own money to make this happen... for hardware alone.

I was looking at anti-theft software for the computers... right now McAfree unless you suprise me, it won't be yours.

If my company ran like this, I would be out of buinsess by year's end. I hope there is a solution somewhere soon, because I am not dealing with this any longer... if I have to I'll go Mac, get the server setup and make it so that I can wipe everything remotely if it comes down to it.

• 1. Re: Web Management Console not recognizing laptop, Sync Error, Intel Management Engine Interface not working. (Perfect storm of Mess-ups?)
          Hayton

Not my area of expertise, so I'll refrain from offering too much advice. But if you've got the McAfee Anti-Theft program (v1.5 or v2.0) there's a link to an FAQ, and another link to a list of worldwide phone numbers, in the announcement section at the top of the Anti-Theft section. I checked the phone number for USA; the one in the list is the one you eventually were given, so I'm assuming you didn't have it when you started.

Have a look at the FAQ, see if it's any use to you. If not, perhaps one of the other mods can suggest something. I can't guarantee that anyone from McAfee will see this before Monday.

• 2. Re: Web Management Console not recognizing laptop, Sync Error, Intel Management Engine Interface not working. (Perfect storm of Mess-ups?)
            Peter M

It sounds like he was trying to get the exact time where you are, and your area is on EDT not EST at the moment., correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway that's beside the point, I'll alert someone to take a look in here in this thread.  Not sure how long it will take though.

Most McAfee support personnel are in India.   A corporate decision made a long time ago to save costs like so many other corporations.  Sorry you couldn't understand the person, hopefully the next one will be easier to comprehend.

• 3. Re: Web Management Console not recognizing laptop, Sync Error, Intel Management Engine Interface not working. (Perfect storm of Mess-ups?)

Actually Ex_Brit, it's EST, always will be... at least in the US. Since we share DST we don't call it EDT, just EST... the rest of the world calls it EDT... that being said, I also stated that I was in -5:00 GTS, so not to confuse the poor person on the other side. As you said though, this is beyond the point.

I don't mind that I am talking to someone in India, what I have an issue with is that I felt like I couldn't be bothered with, I felt like I was being pushed from person to person to person, just to get rid of me and to keep their time down.  The same with the final tech, there was nothing there he did but beyond going through the script, when I could understand him...

Not to mention it felt that he was being so condescending when he spoke to me, that he was treating me like a kid. Ie: Go to the start menu, go to the search bar, and type in D-e... by then I realized he wanted me to go to the Device Manager... instead of telling me directly to go to it, I had to decipher what he was attempting to say where a 10 minute phone call lasted 1/2 a hour.

He was telling me that if some things weren’t where they were suppose to be I would have to talk to the company in where my laptop was made from.  Which wasn't the case, but it was as if he was attempting to tell me if one thing wasn't in place he would dump me and tell me to go talk to another person that actually may of cared that the software he was meant to support in the first place.

I was a computer tech, a phone tech, a network admin, I've run a tech department, I've been a sales rep, a warehouse manager, a CIO, and now I am attempting to start a computer software entertainment company up with my own money, sweat equity, and luck...

I know when I'm being talked down to, and I know when I am being blown off.... and that is exactly what I was have happening to me. I am sorry, but there is something wrong with tech support, when the support themselves seem to refuse to do so... I would love to spend a month over there a do a Gordon Ramsey version of Nightmare Tech Support and whip them into shape, because there is no excuse for poor service.  No matter how little you get paid, it is a job, if you can't put effort into it, then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

• 4. Re: Web Management Console not recognizing laptop, Sync Error, Intel Management Engine Interface not working. (Perfect storm of Mess-ups?)
                Peter M

All he wanted to know was if your area observed daylight savings and yes it does and nowhere on the eastern seaboard calls daylight savings time standard time at least not in the places I've visited.   I was merely pointing out that all he wanted to make sure of was an accurate time for a call back.  Actually I've seen some pretty brilliant service from these people so you never know, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, please stand by as I did alert someone to intervene in this thread to see if they can help you.

• 5. Re: Web Management Console not recognizing laptop, Sync Error, Intel Management Engine Interface not working. (Perfect storm of Mess-ups?)

Ok, I am now getting assistance from the Tier 2.5/3 whatever that is.  He spoke to me on the phone for a few minutes, took control of my computer, and told me to watch what he is doing, and hung up on the other side of the phone. He has ignored everything that is on the case notes, and is instaling uneeded software from the company that made the computer, and is attempting to solve an issue without actually comprehending the problem...

He, as well as the other techs that I delt with the day before are insisting that the Intel Management Engine Interface is not working correctly, even though Microsoft Update shows that the drivers are correct, up to date and working.  The company, Asus, doesn't have any new drivers for this. 

He is now using my computer to search for the answer, he is looking at sites to veriy something, instead of asking me. 

Ex_Brit, I hope you are right with this tech going to be better than the others, so far I have not seen that. He is making excuses, and right now I'm about to kick him off of my computer, because if I wanted to waste time googling the answer, I would of done it myself instead of calling McAfee for support.

• 6. Re: Web Management Console not recognizing laptop, Sync Error, Intel Management Engine Interface not working. (Perfect storm of Mess-ups?)
                    Peter M

Well I have no idea who it is or if it is as a result of my email or not.   I'm only a volunteer working from home here.   Give them a chance and see what happens.   They should normally call you back when and if they need you for anything.

Good luck.

• 7. Re: Web Management Console not recognizing laptop, Sync Error, Intel Management Engine Interface not working. (Perfect storm of Mess-ups?)

Let me try to help you here. Unfortunately I am a kind of lost here with this long discussions and failed to figure our what is the exact problem you are facing now.

Can you please tell me what is the main issue your are experiencing now so that I can focus.

• 8. Re: Web Management Console not recognizing laptop, Sync Error, Intel Management Engine Interface not working. (Perfect storm of Mess-ups?)

Sorry for the late delay, I have been dealing with my ISP.  In any case here is the situation, the tech got off the phone and started to google search on my laptop if I had the latest and greatest Intel Management Engine Interface.

After 30 minutes he tells me he is going to re-install the Management Engine Interface. I said OK.  He then started doing it without uninstalling the old version first. The computer restarted, he logged back in, and off he went with verifying the app was now working.  Which it was, the problem comes that he decided to tell me everything was solved, and that if there was nothing else, he needed to go.

After some questions of why this happened, he couldn't answer, so after he logged off, I went to check why there was a flashing icon on my dock.  Well it turns out that the application was not fully installed after he left. I had to go through a few more questions, and settings and off it went. Luckly I am a computer tech and know what I am doing, but if I was less computer savvy I wouldn't of been able to resolve this issue myself.

I am still ****** off that the person in question that helped me, couldn't spend a little time researching why the application failed in the first place, for me this would of been a good case study to resolve a potental problem in the future for stability of the application, but so be it...

• 9. Re: Web Management Console not recognizing laptop, Sync Error, Intel Management Engine Interface not working. (Perfect storm of Mess-ups?)

Sorry that you had a bad time . I hope all is fine now. Do let me know in case issue appears again.