1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 9:40 AM by PhilM

DNS & multiple TXT RR

Hi all,

I have query which I hope someone can answer. How can you create multiple TXT RR in the DNS configuration of a Sidewinder? The GUI only appears to allow the creation of a single entry.

I believe you can manually edit the domain.db records to get around the limitations of the GUI, but is this supported? If you then use the GUI to update the records, will this overwrite the manual changes made?

Also, does the Sidewinder support SPF type RR (see RFC 4408 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4408#section-3.1.1).

Many thanks for all advice given!

PS: This is all so that I can have both SPF records, and setup domain verification which requires an un-adulterated TXT record.

• 1. Re: DNS & multiple TXT RR
          PhilM

You are correct - as it looks, the GUI will only allow you to create one copy of a particular DNS record.

However, while DNS entries themselves are not case sensitive, the GUI is. So it is possible to create one record called "server" and another called "Server" (and indeed any other combintation - sErver, SErver, seRver, etc...) and the GUI will allow you do do this.

Otherwise, while the GUI has its restrictions, I believe the underlying DNS server process is RFC compliant. So you can stop using the GUI and configure the zone files by hand. Note, that if you choose to do this you may never be able to use the DNS GUI again. I have encountered a situation where it has been necessary to configure DNS record types not supported by the GUI and the next time someone tries to load the DNS GUI these records are removed by the system.

Hope that helps.

-Phil.

1 of 1 people found this helpful