1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2013 10:41 AM by exbrit

Vista 64 - Mcafee won't install, due to "virus" detected.

I've browsed through some of the posts here, and noticed similar problems.

However, never finding the right answer... to my exact problem.

I've got a Windows 64bit version of Vista.

I had been having trouble, keeping the "scan" function of my Mcafee running.

I'd select it to scan, and it'd stop... never scanning, and turn off the feature.

I read up on the Mcafee site, to deactivate Mcafee and reload a new update.

So I was able to deactivate, download an updated version, and tried to re-install.

Once I tried, the Mcafee came up and told me it could not install due to a virus.

From there, I ran Spybot to see if I could find anything. And also did complete scan with AVG and Avast.

The latter of the two noted some problems, and I cleaned the PC. It also did a boot scan, and again cleaned the PC.

I tried to re-run the install of the downloaded Mcafee, and still...  no go!  Same error.

So I again, ran the above noted programs and did complete scans. They now come up with 0 threats.

However, Mcafee still gives me the error.
      Is there some kind of Mcafee log or cache, I can clear... or is Mcafee still finding some kind of real virus to stop it from installing (I don't see how it could be, in the 60-120seconds it takes to load the installer and "check for threats")?

Here's a screenshot of that error.

(screenshot 4)

Here's a screenshot, when I hit "continue".  And retry, will always give me the same error;

(screenshot 5)

WHAT TO DO?!?!

... I'd like to get Mcafee back on my machine, and working properly.

• 1. Re: Vista 64 - Mcafee won't install, due to "virus" detected.
          exbrit

This is Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) I trust and fully updated including the latest Internet Explorer for Vista:  IE9?   McAfee utlizes IE regardless of your choice of browser so that's important.

It could be something as simple as software installed that could clash, have you any other security software installed, or did you have and perhaps didn't use their removal tool, if applicable?

Try checking for malware using Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, both linked in the last link in my signature below.  Hint:  to keep Malwarebytes free of charge, do NOT accept the free trial.

• 2. Re: Vista 64 - Mcafee won't install, due to "virus" detected.
            exbrit

I just re-read your post.  Uninstall all the old McAfee software via Control Panel, then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Now try your download again.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/08/13 1:03:01 EDT PM
            • 3. Re: Vista 64 - Mcafee won't install, due to "virus" detected.

It's "Vista Enterprise 64-bit, 2007 Service Pack 2", yes.

As stated...  yes, I do have other pre-installed virus programs.

- Spy Bot

- Avast

- AVG

They were installed, to remove what Mcafee told me were viruses keeping the "install" from loading.

I had also used the McPreInstall.exe file before trying to re-install Mcafee.

And yes, I had used the control panel to un-install/remove my previous version of Mcafee.

I also used the MCPR, which now... I don't remember if I did it "before" or "after" the control panel.

(all of this, per the Mcafee instructions that were found on the Mcafee site - once I logged into 'my account')

I was more worried about losing ALL my settings, for the dis-allowed applications/programs in the firewall.
              (I'm hoping those settings are cached somewhere, and not lost. It took me awhile to build them up to what was satisfactory)

I again... am running the MCPR and rebooting.  I'll let you know outcome, shortly.

• 4. Re: Vista 64 - Mcafee won't install, due to "virus" detected.
                exbrit

Avast and AVG are definitely not compatible and need to be completely removed.  They shouldn't even be installed together.

• 5. Re: Vista 64 - Mcafee won't install, due to "virus" detected.

Ex_Brit wrote:

Avast and AVG are definitely not compatible and need to be completely removed.  They shouldn't even be installed together.

I know this...

Yet, Mcafee will only find Spybot as "incompatible" in it's install/search.

I know that doesn't mean it's the only incompatible program, but... it's beyond me why Mcafee doesn't list more programs as "incompatible" during install (as long as they truly are).

• 6. Re: Vista 64 - Mcafee won't install, due to "virus" detected.

BTW,  I was able to get it to re-install.

HOWEVER....

I had to manually clean out the registry, and delete any known Mcafee files on my machine.

.... Once I took the time to do it in that manner, I was able to reboot and get it to do a fresh install.

NOW...

Let's see if it still allows the scan to function properly.  As that was the whole reason I went down this road.

• 7. Re: Vista 64 - Mcafee won't install, due to "virus" detected.
                      exbrit

AVG and Avast must be removed unless you want trouble down the road.  It's extremely unwise to try to run more than 1 antivirus.    Anything with an antivirus component is incompatible and by the way, Spybot was removed from my favourite anti-malware list because it too has had problems with McAfee if its "Teatimer" component was active.    Sorry I had forgotten about that.   See the last link in my signature below for ones I recommend.

I don't think McAfee has puiblished a current incompatibility list but I agree, it's surprising more warnings didn't appear.

That is very strange that you had to do a registry clean.   Have you by any chance used any registry cleaners lately?  They are notorious for wrecking systems in the end and I really don't recommend those.     Even the Quickclean component built-in to McAfee has to be used carefully.

Anyway, glad you appear to be succeeding in getting it installed.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/08/13 3:57:13 EDT PM
                      • 8. Re: Vista 64 - Mcafee won't install, due to "virus" detected.

Nope... no registry cleaners... ever.

I do it all manually if needed at all.

--------------------------------------------

Never easy with Mcafee....

Another problem has surfaced.

I've re-installed Mcafee, with the latest version it downloaded to my PC.

I opened Mcafee, and noticed it said I had 4 days until deactivation.

I use the "view details" in the window, and get to some more options... like "reactivate".

I click the button, and it opens my Mcafee account in a new browser window.

... I see, that it says I'm now covered and I hit the "dismiss" button in the green window.

However, my Mcafee window... doesn't update.  So I close it, and open it again.  Same thing.  Still shows it going to deactivate.

I try the "reactivate this software" link in the Mcafee pop up, and it too... takes me into my account, via browser but now it wants me to pay $10.00

What's going on??  Why??

ALSO, to add to this... the SCAN function isn't working when I try a "custom scan".  It gives me a window, to go back and try again.  Only can I scan on default options.

... another troubling day in the Mcafee world.  Why I continue using it, is beyond me.

Message was edited by: johnnyairtime on 8/2/13 2:59:53 PM CDT
                        • 9. Re: Vista 64 - Mcafee won't install, due to "virus" detected.
                          exbrit

All I can assume is that you've installed from the wrong account but that's just a guess.  I suggest you contact Technical Support.   It's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Believe me, these sorts of problems are not normal.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/08/13 4:11:22 EDT PM
                          1 2 Previous Next