8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2013 8:04 AM by exbrit

Macfee Total Protection

OK since the last update of macfee  I believe was bewtween July 24-28 2013 My macfee has no been working properly. My Icon on bottom Right hand of screen doesnt work, updates auto or manually doesnt seem to work, it seems like its all bugged. yes i tried reinstalling. Yes i did the macfee clean using the  MCPR. I did everything to reinstalling it properly and doing a full clean. I have no virus after all the scans. I dont know whats wrong. Another problem is that sometimes it cant detect the internet when i have a working active internet connection i can surf the web, use other online programs but when macfee tries to detect it during installion it doesnt work sometimes. I tried turning off my firewall for both macfee and windows to test if thats the problems and it doesnt fix anything. I am using windows Xp still latest update.  Macfee Security Center  v12.1    virus and antispyware v16.1 firewall 13.1. I just need answers if this was already in another discussion please send a link. I never had a problem with macfee till this recent update.  its causing so many problems and headaches and i dont know what to do anymore. PLease give me an answer. and btw the virtual tech does nothing!!!!!!!!! Yes i tried all the macfee suggestions i could google up on. Now is there a problemw ith update that they are working on for the next update that will fix this or what. Im rambling but i dont knwo what to do. HELPPPPPP!!!!

• 1. Re: McAfee Total Protection
          exbrit

Your XP is up to date, i.e. SP3 and has IE8 installed?   McAfee utilizes Internet Explorer for functionality so make sure it's also up to date.

When you uninstalled did you first uninstall all McAfee components via Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs?

Run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot.

Run the VCFix tool

Unpack that zip and use the appropriate one for your system, x86 for 32-bit, x64 for 64-bit systems.   If in doubt what you are right-click Computer on your desktop or in your Start Menu and select Properties.

Run the  McPreinstall tool

Go to your account and try downloading again.

If you did all that and it still doesn't work then I suggest you contact Technical Support direct.

It's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 30/07/13 2:22:35 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: McAfee Total Protection
            exbrit

In case you already tried I have added some more steps to the above. 

• 3. Re: Macfee Total Protection

ok i did everything you said installion was smoother this time. But it seems to toggle off my windows firewall after it finishes installing. Yes my windows xp and internet explorer are all up to date i.e 8. I have none of the lan settings checked off same with proxy.  I still have issues with system tray icon. It shows up but its just a useless icon that you can't click on and same problems as before the updates whether i click manually or let it automatically do it doesnt work its constantly on checking for updates for over and hour.

• 4. Re: McAfee Total Protection
                exbrit

Windows Firewall should be automatically disabled by the installation of any 3rd party firewall.   There can be issues with proxy connections but Technical Support would be the best people to troubleshoot any continuing issues as I mentioined previously.

• 5. Re: McAfee Total Protection
                  Expected Registry Value not Present                               
                                                  Expected : 3
                                                  Existing : 1
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\ODS\SCHEDULEDSCAN perftradeoff
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\ODS\FULLSCAN perftradeoff
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\ODS\RIGHTCLICKSCAN perftradeoff
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\ODS\QUICKSCAN perftradeoff
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\ODS\RESTARTSCAN perftradeoff
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\ODS\PLUGINSCAN perftradeoff
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\ODS\OASSCANDEFAULT perftradeoff
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\ODS\OASSCANEMAIL perftradeoff
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\ODS\OASSCANIM perftradeoff
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\ODS\EMAILSCAN perftradeoff
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\OAS\IM perftradeoff
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\OAS\EMAIL perftradeoff
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\OAS\LOW perftradeoff
                                                  Expected : 1
                                                  Existing : 0
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\AVSolution\MCSHIELDGLOBAL\GLOBAL usebootdats

this is what virtual tech always gives me as an error but never fixes it even if i do a clean reinstallion i still get these same errors what is wrong? i used all types of spyware / malware detection i ran full scan with macfee i get nothing at all even if i uninstall the programs and only have macfee i still get these same errors what is wrong? do i have some sort of wierd error or what? virtual tech says it "fixed" it but when i run it again i get same error over and over everything i got is up to date and all scans for anything comes clean the only problem im having is with macfee total protection its not updating and gives this same error in virtual tech as im repeating multiple times so what do i need to do? ive ran out of solutions. Is all there left to do is completey reset my hard drive and reinstall everything i ever had?

• 6. Re: McAfee Total Protection
                    exbrit

I don't know what is wrong.  Try scanning using Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, both in the last link in my signature below.  To keep Malwarebytes free of charge do NOT accept the free trial offer.

If satisfied that nothing is wrong malware-wise, then do as I suggested previously - contact Technical Support direct.

It's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 7. Re: Macfee Total Protection

i had malwarebytes and super antispyware and used macfee total protection all 3 came up with nothing. I didnt bother using stinger and tech support didnt help either  what worked for  me was to completely erase my hardrive and reinstall everything... The last update somehow screwed my pc up but its working normally after doing a completely clean of my harddrive...

• 8. Re: Macfee Total Protection
                        exbrit

How odd.  Well I'm glad you are OK.  BTW, it's McAfee not Macfee - may help troubleshoot things at a later date.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/08/13 9:04:42 EDT AM