6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2013 1:29 AM by Laszlo G

Wake Up Agent Moves Computer To Lost and Found

Scott Sadlocha

Hello All,

I am new to McAfee and working on a deployment of the product at my company. This week we started rolling out to a pilot group and have noticed a new issue pop up. We have found that computers are moving in the System Tree when  a Wake Up Agent is done. Once the Wake Up Agent command is issue, a short while later we will find that the managed computer has moved to the Lost and Found folder. I can find no documentation as to why this might be occurring, so I figured I would check here. Has anyone else seen this issue? If so, are there are any reasons for it that I have not yet discovered? Thanks-

• 1. Re: Wake Up Agent Moves Computer To Lost and Found
          Scott Sadlocha

I should note that we have a server task to move the computers to correct containers and it is functioning as intended, but we would rather not have the computers move if it isn't needed.

• 2. Re: Wake Up Agent Moves Computer To Lost and Found
            Laszlo G

Maybe you did set a Sorting Criteria at group-level? i.e. you did set IP ranges for at least one group under system tree? If so any computer that doesn't match a group criteria it will go under lost&found.

Otherwise if you have a server task that moves computers to its groups then you can disable system tree sorting of every computer (Actions->Directory Management->Change sorting status) and so they won't move themselves anymore; of course this only applies if you're using queries to move computers from lost&found to their group

• 3. Re: Wake Up Agent Moves Computer To Lost and Found
              Scott Sadlocha

Thanks for the reply. As far as I can tell, there is no sorting criteria that might be doing this. As a matter of fact, the group that the laptops are in don't have sorting criteria. I have attached a screen grab below. The group the computers are in is the USFS Laptops group. Is there some mechanism where perhaps the Wake Up command doesn't see any criteria so it moves them?

ePO Sorting Order.JPG

• 4. Re: Wake Up Agent Moves Computer To Lost and Found
                Laszlo G

Hi Scott, the problem I see is that you have a sorting criteria for the Domain Controllers and USFS Servers groups. If a computer under your system tree does not match with either one or another then it will go automatically under Lost&Found.

To avoid this you should define a sorting criteria for each group

• 5. Re: Wake Up Agent Moves Computer To Lost and Found
                  Scott Sadlocha

I also found that the system was set to sort on every Agent Client Communication.

So, if I got this straight, what is (or was, since I have adjusted sorting) happening is that, at every agent client communication interval, systems would sort, and since they didn't meet one of the two criteria in my screenshot, they would go into Lost and Found. Then, when our client task to sort runs (based on tags), it moves the systems back to the correct container, where they sit until moved again?

• 6. Re: Wake Up Agent Moves Computer To Lost and Found
                    Laszlo G

If you set the policy to only sort once instead of at every agent communication then they shouldn't move again until you run your sorting based on tags.

As for how sorting criteria works you're right, as a computer does not a match any of your two groups with sorting enabled then they will go under lost&found