5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2013 2:40 PM by rmetzger

Is it possible to roll back VSE engine 5600?

Hi

Is it possible to roll back from vse engine 5600 to  5400.1158 through epo 4.5 for vse 8.8?

Not sure if this should be posterd here or in the epo sections.

Thanks

Message was edited by: gaz_11uk on 29/07/13 03:36:10 CDT

Message was edited by: gaz_11uk on 29/07/13 04:53:13 CDT
        • 1. Re: Is it possible to roll back VSE engine 5600?
          petersimmons

No. It would require a reinstall. Why on Earth would you want to roll back something we're taking EOL in a couple months? It is running on millions of computers with ZERO issues.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is it possible to roll back VSE engine 5600?

Thanks for the reply Peter. So you are guaranteeing that I will not get one single issues on the desktop estate I manage from upgrading the engine….....

I work on a very locked down estate and have to go through a rigorous change control process, part of that is to provide a role back solution in case of any issues. That is why I needed to know. Not that I want to.

• 3. Re: Is it possible to roll back VSE engine 5600?
              dmease729

Have I misunderstood/misread https://mysupport.mcafee.com/Eservice/Article.aspx?id=KB58626 ???

I agree with gaz_11uk - In an enterprise environment change control will always require a rollback plan.  Vendors do not always make this easy when they dont provide details of rollback plans in release notes/upgrade guides, or in the case that rollback is not possible, make it explicit that this is the case.  Even when it isnt an option, change boards can (and have) delayed changes submitted where it is stated that rollback is not possible:

"Rollback isnt possible??  Are you SURE?"

"Yes"

"Really really sure?  Have you got any vendor documentation for this?"

"No - its not documented"

"....could you get confirmation?"

<support case raised, adds delay and cost to the change> etc etc

Just saying - for the most part I am happy with McAfee documentation (which has improved vastly over the last few years), and also the products of course :-)

• 4. Re: Is it possible to roll back VSE engine 5600?
                johnf_dfs

Hello.  How do I prevent a computer on the network who has version 8.5 of VirusScan Enterprise from being updated by ePO to version 8.8?  These computers have licenses for v8.5 but not for v8.8.

Thank you in advanced for your help!

---John---

• 5. Re: Is it possible to roll back VSE engine 5600?
                  rmetzger

Hi John F.,

Welcome to the forums.

johnf_dfs wrote:

Hello.  How do I prevent a computer on the network who has version 8.5 of VirusScan Enterprise from being updated by ePO to version 8.8?  These computers have licenses for v8.5 but not for v8.8.

I am not sure, but I believe that your 'License' should enable you to install the latest version. In fact, it is encouraged as VSE v8.5 is no longer supported and reached End-of-Life quite some time ago (Dec. 31, 2011). (see http://www.mcafee.com/uk/support/support-eol-software-utilities.aspx and search for 'Enterprise + Anti-Spyware')

A valid Grant Number entitles you (your business) to upgrade to the latest supported VSE versions (up to the number of nodes that were purchased).

So, if you have a valid grant number, you (or your Network/Security Administrator) should be allowed to upgrade to VSE v8.8. However, older systems may not be up to handling VSE v8.8, but that is not a licensing issue.

Without a valid grant number, your license to continue to use VSE v8.5 may still be valid if you (your business) has a 'Perpetual' license. Support would be expired and any problems encountered are your responsibility. Upgrades would not be allowed.

Given that VSE v8.5 has reached end-of-life almost 2 years ago, and that newer malware use techniques that VSE v8.5 cannot handle, I would suggest upgrading to VSE v8.7 or v8.8 if possible.

Preventing the upgrade to VSE v8.8 from ePO is in the hands of your ePO administrator's control.

Good luck,

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger on 12/18/13 3:40:07 PM EST