1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2013 6:43 PM by selvan

Getting McAfee to work on multiple user accounts at once.

asw45

I have reinstalled McAfee on my XP. It has multiple user partitions and each one in itself can use McAfee. However, if a user signs on to their side of the computer without the first side logging out just "switch user", McAfee will not start up and protect the 2nd running partition. How can this be changed? We did not realize it was not working in multiple users (partitions) at one time and got hacked. Is there a way to install it that would allow all users to have it running it even if the one user has not logged out yet?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/07/13 5:56:13 EDT AM
        • 1. Re: Getting McAfee to work on multiple user accounts at once.
          Peacekeeper

Ok as I gather the 1st user logs on and second then does so after switching user without logging off the original user correct?

Ok maybe not what you are doing as I tested thius on my XP test pC

1. Made a new limited user called test after logging onto admin account.

2. Switched to Test user without logging off admin works fine

3. Switched to test user after logging off admin works fine

4. Rebooted and logged onto test user works fine. Switched to admin user works fine.

So how are you reproducing this issue I cannot the instals all catch the eicar malware test file I try to run. I must have misread the steps soory.

Best to call support the link is in useful links tab above. I also have pinged Selvan a tier 2.5 tech to see if he can assist.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 27/07/13 7:24:20 PM

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/07/13 5:56:30 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: Getting McAfee to work on multiple user accounts at once.
            selvan

Hi asw45 I have a clarification. You said that you have different user partitions Does it mean that you have dual boot Operating system or a Single OS. Also if it is a single OS then you'll have to see McAfee working in all user accounts irrespective of other user logon/logoffs (this is what Tony experimented). Kindly provide me with Operating system details, Disk size, No of partitions in the next post to proceed further.

Regards.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/07/13 5:56:51 EDT AM
            • 3. Re: Getting McAfee to work on multiple user accounts at once.
              asw45

Selvan,

I have a single OS, Windows XP Home Edition, Pentium 4, 3.5GB Ram, 4-5 partitions.Usually no more than 2 open at one time. Once in a while 3. That's not often.

When we switch users without logging off the first user, The McAfee Security Center cannot be started in the second user. It won't be in the task bar, and when you try to open with the start window, the cursor will think a bit, a quick flash of the McA symbol in the task bar, and then gone and Security Center will not open to work with. (Even though Security center is not open in first user. Just Mcafee running.)

If only one user logged on, reguardless of which user, The McAfee Security Center will start and show in the task bar.

Also, found out since first posting that McAfee does not pick up on the hack we had. It was  the FBI scam, ransomware. Reveton and Citadel.

Message was edited by: asw45 on 7/27/13 6:08:42 PM CDT

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/07/13 5:57:16 EDT AM
              • 4. Re: Getting McAfee to work on multiple user accounts at once.
                Peter M

Only one instance of the software can run at any one time, I think that's why one user must sign out for it to run in another users profile.   I think I'm right but quite honestly it's so long since this question was asked I'm a bit hazy on what the verdict was at the time.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/07/13 5:57:51 EDT AM
                • 5. Re: Getting McAfee to work on multiple user accounts at once.
                  Peacekeeper

Look in Peter's sig and download stinger and malwarebytes from the anti-spyware link he has. Also many threads with suggestions re solving this type of infection on the forum.

By partitions are you saying there are another OS on each or are you running only 1 Operating system. If 1 as i said by my testing and Selvan agreed if you are logged onto 1 user and switch to another when using the same OS McAfee will be there in the taskbar for all users. Reproduced this many variations as I mentioned.

If 1 and Mcafee not there you may have malware affecting that user's profile does mcafee show up for all users when they are logged in singularly?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/07/13 5:58:23 EDT AM
                  • 6. Re: Getting McAfee to work on multiple user accounts at once.
                    Peter M

As I said, it was a while back so I could have been wrong.  Good idea to check for malware.

By the way talking different partitions confuses the issue.  Switching between users in one operating system is all done on the same partition, it's simply changing user profiles.

If one was multi-booting between several operating systems different partitions would come into play, then each one would need its own McAfee installation.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/07/13 5:59:01 EDT AM
                    • 7. Re: Getting McAfee to work on multiple user accounts at once.
                      asw45

Ok, so I stand corrected, not partitions, one OS, 4-5 users.   As stated before see below:

"When we switch users without logging off the first user, The McAfee Security Center cannot be started in the second user. It won't be in the task bar, and when you try to open with the start window, the cursor will think a bit, a quick flash of the McA symbol in the task bar, and then gone and Security Center will not open to work with. (Even though Security center is not open in first user. Just Mcafee running.)

If only one user logged on, regardless of which user, The McAfee Security Center will start and show in the task bar."

We also have run malwarebytes ( full scan) and it came up with nothing. We had already eliminated the fbi scam ransomware previously.  Only reloaded McAfee because we did see some inconsistencies in the running. It was removed and reloaded as a precaution.

Note: McAfee may be trying to run in both users, because I see Site Advisor running very spotty (most of the time not working) in the second user while still working fine in first user. But I still do not see McAfee symbol in the task bar, nor can we open the McAfee Security Center in the second user. I don't want to just assume McAfee is working in second user. Too much trouble if wrong.

Again as stated before so no confusion, single users with no other user signed on, regardless of which user, McAfee (and SiteAdvisor) runs fine.

Could this be a RAM capactiy problem? Can I prioritize McAfee and first priority? I can't remember.  Seems that with one OS that McAfee should protect the whole OS not just one user at a time.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/07/13 5:59:30 EDT AM
                      • 8. Re: Getting McAfee to work on multiple user accounts at once.
                        Peacekeeper

As stated I have Mcafee 12.1 installed on my test XP box 1 partition and it stays loaded no matter which user I have logged in. ie login user 1 switch to user 2 still loaded. This PC has 2gb ram so ram not an issue. Selvan agrees this is as the program should work so all I can say is the fbi scam might still be affecting Mcafee somehow maybe Selvan has an idea on this.

When you removed Mcafee did you fol;low this method?

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

ie use windows add removal programs reboot and run MCPR reboot and then run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.e xe

and reinstall from your account

Another thought is what version of Mcafee is installed?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/07/13 5:59:54 EDT AM
                        • 9. Re: Getting McAfee to work on multiple user accounts at once.
                          Peter M

I altered the header so searches for answers on this will find it.

1 2 Previous Next