Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
936 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2013 9:18 AM by frankm RSS 1 2 Previous Next
lewispaskin Newcomer 7 posts since
Jul 16, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 16, 2013 11:46 AM

User Creating Mode settings

Hi,

We are just getting started and are transitioning 15 domains from Postini.  Under the User Creation Mode, we have "SMTP Discovery" checked.  We are not given the option (its greyed out) to select "Deny Delivery" under "When a Recipient is invalid".  If I change the mode to explicit, I can select any of the options.  If I then go back to SMTP discovery, the "Deny delivery" option stays selected but doesn't actually work.   All we want is for an undeliverable message go back to the sender if they try to email an invalid user.  We also want to keep the SMTP discovery on.  Has anyone seen this behavior or have any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks.

• Brad McGarr McAfee Employee 154 posts since
    Dec 4, 2012
    1. Jul 16, 2013 1:48 PM (in response to lewispaskin)
    Re: User Creating Mode settings

Hi lewispaskin,

What you're experiencing is normal behavior. SMTP Discovery is a function that only allows for the system to try all emails to your server. In order to block invalid recipients, you will have to use Explicit mode. There is no option to do both SMTP Discovery and block invalid recipients, as SMTP Discovery requires the ability to receive mail for recipients not listed in the control console to attempt them to your server.

Brad McGarr
    McAfee SaaS Email & Web Protection
    Technical Support Technician I (Legacy & Partner Support)
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft Technology Associate - Windows OS | CompTIA A+ Certified Technician | CIW Web Foundations Associate
    Visit my blog: Brad's Corner - Insights from SaaS Email & Web Security Support https://community.mcafee.com/blogs/brad-denver

Frequently Requested Information
    Dec 4, 2012
    3. Jul 16, 2013 3:40 PM (in response to lewispaskin)

Lewis,

The SaaS Service will relay back the error we received when attempting to deliver the message, so an NDR should be issued. If it is not, I recommend contacting the support team that works with your account to determine if it is a sending server issue, or another problem.

I'm curious as to what challenges you experienced with Explicit mode? Many issues can be resolved by ensuring the user is created by one method or another (Directory Integration, Bulk Creation, or, Individual Creation). We actually recommend creating your users through any method, and then setting the system to Explicit to avoid invalid email delivery.

Brad McGarr
    Microsoft Technology Associate - Windows OS | CompTIA A+ Certified Technician | CIW Web Foundations Associate
    Visit my blog: Brad's Corner - Insights from SaaS Email & Web Security Support https://community.mcafee.com/blogs/brad-denver

Dec 4, 2012
    5. Jul 16, 2013 5:09 PM (in response to lewispaskin)

Lewis,

It certainly does. The McAfee service is not designed to have "some filtered, some not filtered" to achieve price controls. All email passing through is essentially using the service and is being filtered by the default policy. Each person receiving email on the domain should be covered under a license in order to affectively use the product. Otherwise, the users will get the same level of filtering without being licensed.

Brad McGarr

Dec 4, 2012
    7. Jul 23, 2013 3:45 PM (in response to lewispaskin)

Lewispaskin,

I'll answer your questions in the order they appeared:

• McAfee's servers return an error code, however it is the responsibility of the sending server to issue the NDR. Some servers are not configured to issue an NDR when an error code is encountered.
    • You should see the messages from the yahoo.com address in message audit, but it will depend on what error is being returned. I would recommend contacting the support team or partner that supports your account for further research.
    • With SMTP Discovery, McAfee tries all messages that pass through the filter to your server and only then are they denied as an invalid user (based off the response from your server). If a message is quarantined, it is not attempted against your server and does not have the opportunity to error out until released. A Spam Report will not be generated because the user does not exist.

Brad McGarr

Dec 4, 2012
    9. Jul 23, 2013 5:01 PM (in response to lewispaskin)

Lewispaskin,

I'll explain the point about NDRs a bit better. When an NDR is generated, it is not a message sent from the recipient server. It is a reply returned to the sending server, which must then send a NDR to the sender.

For example:

gmail.com connects to mxlogic.net to deliver a message, we simultaneously connect to your server.

gmail.com begins sending data to mxlogic.net, which is captured, filtered, and if clean, forwarded to your server.

At the rcpt to: command, your server returns an error stating no such user/invalid user/ etc.

That error message is relayed back to gmail.com during the transaction.

Gmai.com's servers should then turn around and email the sender with a NDR to alert them of the failure.

Which is why an NDR, Non-Delivery Report, is named as such, not a Non-Reciept Report. The NDR is the sending server alerting the sender that it could not successfully deliver the message for whatever reason. If the sending server is misconfigured or is purposefully not sending NDRs, this is the decision of the administrator of the sending server. All any recipient server can do is issue the error.

Brad McGarr

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points