4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 3:09 AM by Troja

Dynamic PAC - FILE: Question

feickholt

as you know it is possible to generate the PAC-File dynamically using the MWG.

We use this for a while.

HTTP support GZIP encoding.

Look here:

HTTP     GET/proxy.pac

HTTP: GET /proxy.pac HTTP/1.1

HTTP: cache-control: no-cache

HTTP: accept:text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8

HTTP: connection: keep-alive

HTTP: pragma: no-cache

HTTP: dnt: 1

>>>HTTP: accept-encoding: gzip,deflate<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

HTTP: accept-language: en-US,en;q=0.5

HTTP: user-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:17.0)Gecko/20100101 Firefox/17.0

HTTP: host: xxxxxxxxx.xxxx

Currently MWG does not zip our answer.

Is it possible to build a rule that supports gzip encoding?

This will help us to reduce the PAC-File size (currenty 6,7K)

Thanks

Frank

• 1. Re: Dynamic PAC - FILE: Question
          Jon Scholten

Hi Frank,

It is not possible to build a rule to gzip the data. :-/ (https://community.mcafee.com/message/202364#202364)

If transaction goes through the MWG rule engine it will follow that process (not compressed on client side).

It may be possible using the file server, but I have not tested it.

Best,

Jon

• 2. Re: Dynamic PAC - FILE: Question

If you use the file server, it still needs to process through the proxy to replace the body content dynamically, and even if it gzipped from localhost to the proxy, it would still be uncompressed from the proxy to the client

• 3. Re: Dynamic PAC - FILE: Question
              asabban

Hello,

isn't the proxy.pac file cached on the clients and only transferred every now and then? So I would expect the Proxy.Pac to not cause a lot of traffic.

Another alternative that may be worth looking into (while it is not as good as GZIP compression) would be shrinking the JavaScript. I have a 5 KB Test Javascript which I minified using uglifyjs and the size was reduced by 50%. The downside with the minified JS is that you can no longer make simple changes in the MWG GUI but have to modify the original script, minify it and then put it to MWG again.

Best,

Andre

• 4. Re: Dynamic PAC - FILE: Question
                Troja

Hi all,

we diskussed this feature last week at the inner circle meeting in Unterschleissheim/Munich. There is a way to generate a PAC File dynamic using some nice features like Body.ToFile Event and so on. :-)

Cheers,

Thorsten