Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1074 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2013 2:45 PM by vimalnavis RSS
mullenjm Newcomer 9 posts since
May 22, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 10, 2013 11:11 PM

DLP User Rights Issue

I ran into an odd issue with DLP this week that I'm still working on troubleshooting. I'm looking to get some feedback and potential suggestions from the community. Our environment is as follows: DLP 9.2, ePO 4.5.6, HIPS 8 and VSE 8.8.

We control CD\DVD-ROM Rights using user policy which is linked to Active Directory groups. The default is deny read and then we have an Active Directory group for allow read and another for allow write.

Everything was working fine until roughly a week ago. There have been no policy changes in the past week, however I did make several software changes including: updating to McAfee Agent 4.6 Patch 3 from 4.6 Patch 1, updating from VSE 8.7 to 8.8 and installing HIPS 8 in logging mode.

Here is an explanation of the issue I'm encountering in Windows 7 64-Bit. When logging into an account and then selecting switch user, the second user who logs into the computer inherits the DLP rights from the first user. For example, an administrator with burn privileges logs into a workstation (with nobody currently logged in) to assist a customer. Once hes finished assisting the customer he locks his session instead of logging out. Anyone who logs in after him inherits his DLP permissions. This works in reverse as well. If a customer with deny read privileges is logged in and locks so that an administrator can help them, that administrator inherits the customers permissions and can no longer burn despite being in the appropriate groups.

This issue is occuring across multiple systems in our test group and we can replicate the problem 100% of the time. I haven't had much time to dig into it yet, thus far I've only rolled back the Agent with no change. I plan to open a ticket with McAfee after I do a bit more troubleshooting. Any assistance or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

• vimalnavis McAfee SME 204 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    1. Jul 11, 2013 8:52 AM (in response to mullenjm)
    Re: DLP User Rights Issue

DLPe enforcing rules from a user logged in first to all other users logging in later (as long as the first user still shows up as logged in) is expected behavior. 9.3 is the first version to fully support multiple user sessions.

Feb 23, 2010
    3. Jul 11, 2013 5:21 PM (in response to mullenjm)

In the secondary environment did you test with the first user still logged in (they may lock the screen)?

This is from the 9.3 Readme:

Multiple user sessions

Fast User Switching (FUS) on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2012 is now supported with multiple user sessions. If Plug-and-Play device rules are differentiated by user, the most restrictive rule is applied to all user sessions.

Feb 23, 2010
    5. Jul 12, 2013 2:45 PM (in response to mullenjm)

From the 9.3 Readme:

Important

If you are upgrading from an older version of McAfee Data Loss Prevention Endpoint (McAfee DLP Endpoint), verify that the DLP Policy Push task is scheduled to run every 2 hours. This new ePolicy Orchestrator Server Task pushes McAfee DLP policies to endpoint computers that have no DLP policy. The task is optimized for performance and does not push a policy to endpoints that have already received that policy.

This server task is necessary because ePolicy Orchestrator 4.5 and 4.6 fail to push policies to products whose internal product code ID has changed. Since McAfee DLP Endpoint client 9.2.2xx has a new product code, this task must be run periodically until all endpoints are upgraded to McAfee DLP Endpoint client 9.2.214.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points