4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2013 4:31 PM by warlock003 RSS

DLP Agents version 3.0 if console is upgrade to version 9.3 will DLP version 3.0 agents work

warlock003

We have determined that we have many outdated DLP windows client machines on the network.

We have a few thousand version 3.0 client DLP Agents that should be upgraded to 9.1 before we upgrade our current 9.2.20.23 DLP server to 9.3 per McAfee support and per best practices etc.

BUT

Given our current 1 month time line to upgrade the console and bring all agents up to date and or up to speed we wanted to know the following:

Can I upgrade my EPO console DLP component from 9.2.200.23 to 9.3 before I upgrade all the agents?

If I do upgrade the console from 9.2 to 9.3 what will happen to the 3.0 agents

In Short will DLP 3.0 agents work after we upgrade our current 9.2.200.23 console to 9.3

Thank you!

• 1. Re: DLP Agents version 3.0 if console is upgrade to version 9.3 will DLP version 3.0 agents work
          vimalnavis

Upgrade the console first. 9.3 does not support 3.0. Upgrading the console will result in 3.0 agents holding on to the last received policy and enforcing rules from the last received policy. They will not receive changes to the DLPe policy.

If you upgrade your agents before upgrading the console, the new Agents will not receive a DLPe policy.

• 3. Re: DLP Agents version 3.0 if console is upgrade to version 9.3 will DLP version 3.0 agents work
            vimalnavis

What you have highlighted is applicable only if you want the DLPe agents to continue to receive DLP policy. I believe I made this clear in my post: 9.3 does not support 3.0 and also explained what happens if the console is upgraded to 9.3 but agents are not.

Read the very next line in your screenshot: "Always upgrade the McAfee DLP Endpoint policy console before upgrading the McAfee DLP Endpoint client software".

If you have enough time, upgrade all your agents first to at least 9.1 and then upgrade the environment to 9.3. In this case the OP was about the best way to get this done in a month's time.

• 4. Re: DLP Agents version 3.0 if console is upgrade to version 9.3 will DLP version 3.0 agents work
              warlock003

Thank you for your reply.

I currently have Version 9.2.200.23 DLP on my EPO console.

That being said please confirm or correct me or guide me on the proper way to upgrade 3.0 clients.

Our current 9.2.200.23 DLP console has a mix of 9.1 and 3.0 client end points.

I would like to upgrade the EPO Servers DLP Module to 9.3

MY specific question is:

Will I be able to upgrade the 3.0 client end points if I upgrade my console to DLP 9.3?

OR

Should I upgrade my 3.0 client end points now while I am on 9.2 DLP console?

OR

Does it not matter as the amount of client work will be the same?

If I lose the ability to push the dlp 9.3 upgrade to my outdated 3.0 clients I will have to have help desk people visit 4800 end points or we will have to deploy a radia package.

In short I do not want to lose the ability to upgrade the 3.0 clients.

Will I be able to upgrade the 3.0 client end points of I upgrade the epo console dlp version to 9.3?

Overall we are in a mid-sized enterprise and we are trying to minimize end user reboots and or end user prompts which could turn into help desk calls.

Thank you!

I also would like to extend a Thank you to NOTIME for replying to my post.