1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2013 8:21 AM by exbrit

Real-Time scanning is not starting!!!

I use total protection and for a couple of weeks now I can't turn the real-time scanning on. when I login to windows, the total protection interface says "real-time scanning is starting up" for a minute or two then it will tell me that my computer is in risk and I need to enable real-time scanning. Whenever I turn it on, it goes back off immediately! In few minutes the total protection will tell me that there is an update and I need to close total protection. Few minutes after I do so, it asks me to restart because it was updated. Then the computer will be stuck on the "shutting down" window for ever. I must hardreset the pc to get it to boot again. And the same cycle goes over and over... real-time scanning is not starting and the whole thing won't update properly. I tried so many solutions with no luck.

I used MVT and reported a lot of missing files and registery keys and I tried to manually copy them from another pc with the same OS but it didn't work either.

I have re-installed total protection over 20 times with/without using MacAfee MCPR tool with no luck. I tried copying missing files from another machine running windows 7 into this one with no luck. I am running out of solutions.

I was able to solve another problem with MacAfee software by posting here, and I hope it that happen again.

Throughout the troubleshooting Ihave noticed this:

• Mcshield.exe is not running "obviously", when I looked for it in the folder C:\programfiles\common files\MacAfee\amcore, it wasn't there; many files were missing from that folder.
      • I tracked the long delay in windows shutting down and it turned to be the service "MacAfee PlatformServices" whenever I turn it off, the machine shutdown and reboot just fine. Even if disabled this service, the real-time scanning will show up and running although actually it is not, I can't scan my system for viruses.
      • When I check the anti-virus version, it shows it is 0.0! and the engine creation date was in 1969!!! See below

This is really frustrating andthis is happening with my main laptop that I used on daily basis. Reformattingis not an option at this time.

I am using windows 7 Pro and below are the total protection version information:

Security center

Version: 12.8

Build: 12.8.310

Anti-virus and anti-spy-ware

Version: 16.8

Build: 16.8.158

Engine version: 0.0

Engine creation date: Wed12/31/69

• 1. Re: Real-Time scanning is not starting!!!
          exbrit

This is the retail suite and not a beta one?

Make sure that Win 7 is totally up to date, i.e. SP1 and all the updates since then and make sure you have IE10 installed, whether or not you use it.  (McAfee does).

Make sure your system clock is accurate, both time and timezone-wise.

Uninstall all McAfee software via Control  Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool:  click the link under "Useful Links" at the top of this page or HERE.

Reboot and reinstall everything from your online account.

• 2. Re: Real-Time scanning is not starting!!!

thank you for your reply. i have IE10 installed and updated, windows is up to date as well. i have removed and re-installed total protection exactley like you said "not that i didn't do it over 10 times before". and it didn't work, still the real-time scanning is not working.

• 3. Re: Real-Time scanning is not starting!!!

I have the same problem.  First I installed Total Protection and everything ran. I tried to register but it never let me get to the point of putting in my key.  I called support and after 6 hours, they got it to register and now the Real-Time Scanning doesn't work.

• 4. Re: Real-Time scanning is not starting!!!
                exbrit

This could possibly be cause by some kind of malware being on the machine to start with.  Try running Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, both in the last link in my signature below.  To keep Malwarebytes free do NOT accept the trial offer. 

Then try running the Virtual Technican to see if it fixes it. http://mvt.mcafee.com

If that all fails then uninstall everything via Control Panel > Programs

Run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall from your now established online account.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/07/13 9:11:44 EDT PM
                • 5. Re: Real-Time scanning is not starting!!!

well, i did eberything u suggested. i used stinger and malwarebytes, both resulted no threats.i un-installed total protection and used mcpr restarted then re-installed everything again and no luck. still the real-time scannaing won't start up.  i ran MVT a couple of times, it found a lot of errors, a lot of missing files, 588 registery keys were wrong, many processes were not started, etc. i restarted and used MVT few more times and restarted again. there are still errors that the MVT were not able to fix, and they are listed below:

MVT Information
                  MVT Version:7.1.0.2483
                  System Information
                  Operating System:Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition(Build 7601)
                  Service Pack:Service Pack 1.0
                  Language:0409
                  Internet Explorer Version:10.0
                  Internet Explorer Language:en-us
                  System Drive Type:NTFS
                  Physical Memory Available:4194303
                  Physical Memory Total:4194303
                  Virtual Memory Available:6192884
                  Virtual Memory Total:8148816
                  System Architecture:Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70GHz
                  Date Time:07/07/2013 17:58:34
                  Time Zone:GMT -08:00
                  Product Details

Product Name:VirusScan - McAfee Total Protection
                  Product Version:16.8.158
                  Language:en-us
                  Partner:McAfee
                  Health Check Details
                  RegistryOK
                  File8 file(s) incorrect
                  Expected File not Present
                  File: c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\..\..\common files\mcafee\amcore\avevent.dll
                  File: c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\..\..\common files\mcafee\amcore\emmain.dll
                  File: c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\..\..\common files\mcafee\amcore\lua_lib.dll
                  File: c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\..\..\common files\mcafee\amcore\mfe_cs.dll
                  File: c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\..\..\common files\mcafee\amcore\mfe_ds.dll
                  File: c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\..\..\common files\mcafee\amcore\ncapi.dll
                  File: c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\..\..\common files\mcafee\amcore\quarantine.dll
                  File: c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan\..\..\common files\mcafee\amcore\mcshield.exe
                  Process1 process(s) incorrect
                  Expected process not running
                  Expected : running
                  Existing : not running
                  C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\amcore\mcshield.exe
                  Service1 service(s) incorrect
                  Expected Service State Incorrect
                  Expected : running
                  Existing : stopped
                  Service: mfecore C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\AMCore\mcshield.exe
                  COMOK
                  Top IssuesOK
                  SYSTEMOK

Product Name:SecurityCenter
                  Product Version:12.8.310
                  Language:en-us
                  Partner:McAfee
                  Health Check Details
                  RegistryOK
                  FileOK
                  ProcessOK
                  ServiceOK
                  COM1 component(s) incorrect
                  Expected COM Component not Present
                  Component Name: {447cae10-7647-45f9-9ad8-68243ed5a2da} C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\platform\mcbr3264.dll
                  Top IssuesOK
                  SYSTEMOK
                  • 6. Re: Real-Time scanning is not starting!!!
                    exbrit

So follow my next suggestion.  Uninstall everything, cleanup and reinstall.    Hopefully that will sort it out.

• 7. Re: Real-Time scanning is not starting!!!

what do you mean un-install everything? are you suggesting that i un-install every other software in my laptop to get mcafee's to work?

• 8. Re: Real-Time scanning is not starting!!!
                        exbrit

No, I meant everything McAfee.  Sorry if that was confusing.

• 9. Re: Real-Time scanning is not starting!!!

didn't work either.

1 2 Previous Next