2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2013 3:16 PM by Peter M

McAfee detected a PUP during scan but I can't locate the file!

During my last scan with Internet Security, McAfee located a PUP and gave me the file that contains it along with the filename. But when I told it to quarantine the file I received a message that McAfee could not delete the file. I went to the folder where the PUP supposedly was but there was no file by that name. I also searched my computer but it found no file. I used Malwarebytes to run a scan and it found no security issues at all. What's the deal? Shouldn't I be able to search my computer and find the file then try to delete it myself?

• 1. Re: McAfee detected a PUP during scan but I can't locate the file!
          Hayton

Perhaps this was a hidden file, although that makes it suspicious straight away. And if McAfee couldn't delete it that's also suspicious, unless this was a temporary file which was deleted by a program or process before it could be quarantined.

Go back to the folder in Explorer and select Folder Options / View / Show hidden files and folders. if it's there, try deleting it manually (you can always recover it from the Recycle Bin if you want to keep it).

• 2. Re: McAfee detected a PUP during scan but I can't locate the file!
            Peter M

It may simply be quarantined.  When McAfee quarantines something it encrypts it so it's only visible in the user interface itself.  Did you open SecurityCenter and then go to Navigation > Quarantined and Trusted Items and look in those sections (click them to expand)?

I've also known McAfee say it can't delete something when in fact it succeeded, although that's a rare occurrence.