Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
972 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2013 4:18 PM by Peacekeeper RSS
purplesagerr Newcomer 4 posts since
Jun 28, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 28, 2013 2:11 AM

Gulp ... Help

First, I must tell you that I'm a senior citizen, and although I know how to use a computer, I'm totally clueless when it comes to security.  I've been using Norton 360 for many years.  I'm way beyond frustrated to find out today that my computer was hacked into and there was also a Trojan Horse on it.  I have no clue why Norton 360 didn't block these.

Anyway, 7 hours and $420 later, my computer is supposedly fixed.  $170 to un-trash it, $150 for some kind of "anti-hacking thingy" that is supposed to prevent anybody from ever hacking into my current computer and any computer I get in the future and $100 for McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.Oi.

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.Oi was sold to me as a 5 Layer Lifetime protection product (?).  The guy explained it to me, but I'm thoroughly confused.  It seems to be an anti-virus program, which is good ... but where is my internet security protection ... where is my firewall?  It also doesn't automatuically back up files like Norton 360 does.

This entire problem started a few days ago when I wasn't able to attach files to my Yahoo emails.  That problem was supposedly fixed today, but I later tried to send an email with an attachment and I wasn't able to attach any files.  I'm going to call the "computer fixer" tomorrow to see why this is still happening.

I'm simply at a loss regarding what to do.  What is the difference between Norton 360 and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.Oi?

I probably posted this in the wromng forum, but I don't know where else to post it.

Can anybody help me?  Please remember that my computer skills are limited to email, internet and WORD documents.

Thank you. 

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,343 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    1. Jun 28, 2013 3:44 AM (in response to purplesagerr)
    Re: Gulp ... Help

I know this is not helping but why were you sold a business product when you seem to be a Home user how many nodes were you sold  Mcafee says 11 minimum?

Enterprise I thought was not sold with single licences Also what is the name of the anti hacking thingy. When the "fixer" removed Norton did he use its removal tool as if he did not parts of Norton could be still there and conflicting with Mcafee.

Virusscan enterprise has a firewall as well as anti virus/spyware and intrusion prevention see here

While we wait to see if an enterprise user responds try scanning your PC with these free scanners

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

With Malwarebytes use the free version and do not use the trial full version it will clash with Mcafee. With getsusp add your email address to the preferences so Mcafee can report to you if anything amiss.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/06/13 6:44:49 PM

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,545 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    3. Jun 28, 2013 7:04 AM (in response to purplesagerr)

Someone from the Enterprise side of things will have to answer you as we Consumer Product Moderators have little knowledge of this product.    I will comment, however, that the person who sold you it could possibly be breaking his contract by doing so as it is not a retail product to be sold like that in the first place, only sold in bulk typically to businesses and institutions.   Support is only available through this area of the forums or the Enterprise Portal using a Grant number, so, in my opinion only of course, they were not doing you a favour and perhaps should instead have offered a retail/consumer product which is simpler to use and has easier support access.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/06/13 8:04:17 EDT AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,545 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    5. Jun 28, 2013 7:23 AM (in response to purplesagerr)

How true.   Glad you've got that issue fixed.  ;-)

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,343 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    6. Jun 28, 2013 4:18 PM (in response to purplesagerr)

It is the paid for full version of Malwarebytes that is usually not recommended installed with Mcafee and norton the free 1 is happen sitting on the PC BUT will not protect you in real time as that option is only in teh paid version and is what clashes with Mcafee.

Good luck I would install Malwarebytes and run it regularly along with the other free programs I linked to.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points